H.I.V.E. The Higer Institute for Villainous Education

Author: Mark Walden
Title: H.I.V.E. The Higher Institute for Villainous Education1
Series: H.I.V.E. (book 1)
Number of Pages: 309
Publication Date: 2006
Genre: Fantasy/Action
Synopsis: "Otto Malpense may only be thirteen years old, but so far he has managed to run the orphanage where he lives, and he has come up with a plan clever enough to trick the most powerful man in the country. He is the perfect candidate to become the world's next supervillain. That is why he ends up at H.I.V.E., handpicked to become a member of the incoming class. The students have been kidnapped and brought to a secluded island inside a seemingly active volcano, where the school has resided for decades. All the kids are elite; they are the most athletic, the most technically advanced, and the smartest in the country. Inside the cavernous marble rooms, floodlit hangars, and steel doors, the students are enrolled in Villainy Studies and Stealth and Evasion 101. But what Otto soon comes to realize is that this is a six-year program, and leaving is not an option. With the help of his new friends: an athletic martial-arts expert; a world-famous, beautiful diamond thief; and a spunky computer genius -- the only other people who seem to want to leave -- can Otto achieve what has never been done before and break out of H.I.V.E.?"

The first thing I would like to say about H.I.V.E. is that the main character has the most atrocious name ever. His name Otto Malpense. Which in my opinion is the worst first and last name that I can ever recall reading in a book.
Now that I've said my piece I'll move on to talking about the book.
H.I.V.E. was an extremely quick pace read. I loved how the book has the new students arriving at the school and then you find out as the book goes along how each of them main characters came to be students their. I about cracked up with laughter at the description of Otto's misdeeds before he got caught. Especially what he did to the Prime Minister at the end.
The jury's still out on whether the school's bell was funny or lame2.
Not surprising, my favorite character in the book wasn't one of the main kid. It was Raven the Headmaster's right hand if you will. She was just really cool with the scar running down one side of her face and her double katanas.
Nero3 made an interesting opposition, in that nothing went on without his knowledge, like, how some of the new students in the Alpha stream always try to escape... and always get caught.
While some parts of the plot were a little transparent and easy to figure out it was still a highly interesting book with some kooky characters and bizarre plot twists.
H.I.V.E. is definitely worth checking out and giving a shot.

H.I.V.E. The Higher Institute for Villainous Education earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
______________________________________________________________
1. H.I.V.E. The Higher Institute for Villainous Education was borrowed from the library.
2. The school bell was an evil laugh. You know, mwahaha.
3. In that he was evil, yet he cares about the safety of the students. Go figure.

Comments

Popular Posts