Uprising

Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Title: Uprising
Number of Pages: 330
Publication Date: 2007
Genre: Historical Fiction
Synopsis: "Three girls become unlikely friends during troubled times in early 1900s New York City. Bella, newly arrived from Italy, gets a job at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory. There, along with hundreds of others, she works long hours at a guieling job under terrible conditions. Yetta, a coworker from Russia, has been crusading for a union, and when conditions worsen, she joins a historic strike. Wealthy Jane learns of the plight of the workers and becomes involved in their cause. And all three girls are at the Triangle factory on March 26, 1911, when a spark ignites some cloth and the building is engulfed in fire. Can any of them survive?"

Uprising (I am so happy that my library had this book) was so good that I am temporarily by passing the other books I need to review so that I can review it.

Margaret Peterson Haddix's writing in Uprising is good that I could barely put it down. It had me wanting to continue reading it long after I should have been asleep. The characters all had such great depth and different personalities and the story was highly captivating.
Each chapter is told from the perspective of the three main characters (Bella, Yetta, and Jane).
I absolutely loved, loved the Bella, Yetta, and Jane they each had their own voices and their struggles while they were also so very different. With their different things they wanted out of life.
Bella and Yetta were both immigrants working in the Triangle Shirtwaist factory and sending money back to their families. While also striking for better working conditions and for fair treatment. Jane was the rich girl, who spurned her father's dirty money; who also befriended Bella and Yetta.
I think my favorite part in Uprising was when Jane defied her father and governess/nanny whatever she was (I cannot seem to remember her name) and left home to help with the strike.
Even when it came down to the end when the factory caught on fire I couldn’t put it down, all because I wanted to find out what would happen to Bella, Jane, and Yetta.
In order to prevent myself from giving away too much in my review I’m ending it here. Uprising was so good that it has made its way onto my favorite books list and I hope that you’ll give this wonderful book a try (okay, now I’m done).


Uprising earns a grand total of 5 out of 5 pineapples.

Orchid

Comments

  1. Wow. Impressive review. This isn't something I'd normally pick up but I'll have to rethink that notion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts