YA Review: When Dimple Met Rishi



When Simple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, May 30, 2017. 380 pages. Published by Simon Pulse. Source: Borrowed from Library.
Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.
First Sentence
Dimple couldn't stop smiling.


I am disappointed to say that I didn't like When Dimple Met Rishi as much as I was hoping. I knew going in that it would be dicey, as you probably well know that I don't generally read contemporary books, but I decided to give it a chance anyway because it sounded like a cute read.

  • From everything I had heard about this one, it sounded like it was going to be a cute and fun read. You know, a quick read. While it was a quick read and had moments that I enjoyed, it was not nearly what I was expecting in the long run. So, let's talk about the 'good' and 'bad' points now, okay.
  • What I did like: Well, I really enjoyed the family dynamics, though I would have loved for their to be more moments with Dimple and Rishi's families, and how different they viewed their families concern for their happiness. Though, in that regard, Rishi became my favorite because it was interesting to see him learn to balance his 'wants' with that of his parents. Dimple...well, while I liked her passion for app building, but her attitude, well, I'll just say this, it did nothing to endear her to my reader heart.
  • Even though I enjoyed Sandhya Menon's writing and the easy way Dimple and Rishi got along, my biggest problem with this book was Dimple herself. I wanted to like her, because who doesn't like someone who steadfastly pursues their dream, but her whole persona made me sad for her. Why? It was predominately how it felt that she had to deny, was embarrassed, her culture in order to chase her dreams; that made me sad. Though I can see how Dimple had a lot to work through in regards to reconciling both her dreams and the expectations of her family.
  • While I may not have enjoyed the story as much as I was hoping, Sandhya Menon's writing was really good. I just couldn't connect with the excessive romance angle (not my jam, you know), but I really enjoyed the bantering between Dimple and Rishi and their families. I am definitely looking forward to more of Sandhya's writing in the future as she has a really great ability to tell a story (even one you find yourself not completely sold on).
Final Verdict: When Dimple Met Rishi- It had both good and bad points...but I would not rule out reading something else by Sandhya Menon in the future. 


A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts