All About Middle Grade Review: The World's Greatest Detective


The World's Greatest Detective by Caroline Carlson, May 16, 2017. 368 pages. Published by HarperCollins. Source: Publisher.
Detectives’ Row is full of talented investigators, but Toby Montrose isn’t one of them. He’s only an assistant at his uncle’s detective agency, and he’s not sure he’s even very good at that. Toby’s friend Ivy is the best sleuth around—or at least she thinks so. They both see their chance to prove themselves when the famed Hugh Abernathy announces a contest to choose the World’s Greatest Detective. But when what was supposed to be a game turns into a real-life murder mystery, can Toby and Ivy crack the case?

First Sentence
Most people who made their way to Detective's Row were in trouble, one way or another, and Toby Montrose was in a heap of it.


 Even though I haven't finished her (awesome) The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates series (yet), I already know that Caroline Carlson was going to be on my list of authors to keep reading. Thus far, I have loved all everything I've read by her!!

  • From the moment I cracked open The World's Greatest Detective, I knew it was going to be one I would love. Why? First, there was the world's greatest mystery angle, it was intriguing and reminded me somewhat of reading a classic mystery (and we all know how much I love those, right!). I really liked how the scene was set with some background on Toby and how he came to be living on Detective's Row. Let me not forget to mention the setting! I'll have to get into that more in a bit, but SO much to say!!
  • I felt like the setting was a nod towards classic mystery books and the Whitechapel murders. Which I thought was pretty neat, who am I kidding, I loved that. Yes, this book made my mystery-loving heart oh SO happy!!  
  • As someone who adores mystery books, I must say that I really loved the build-up surrounding the mystery that Hugh Abernathy created for the challenge. It was well thought out and all the little pieces that went into it were really fascinating; though I did guess early on what was actually going to happen, it was still really cool to see how the answer would be discovered. If I could tell you all the reasons that you should read this book, based on the mystery, then I would probably ruin the entire book for you. Why, because I enjoyed all the twists and turns the plot took; that and I just really enjoy dissecting mysteries and discussing theories. 
  • One of the things I'm discovering, Caroline Carlson has a way with characters and making a reader, at least me, really want to see them succeed. From the moment the book started, there were two things I wanted to see happen. One- for Toby to find out what happened to his parents. It felt like until he could face his past, that he would never be able to fully move forward with his life; that and I really wanted a solid answer as to what happened. Second- I really wanted him to find happiness. He was just such a solidly written character, if I'm honest, all the characters were, that I could not help but hope for all the best for Toby and his uncle. Seriously though, if you enjoy great character arcs and fascinating dynamics between characters, then you really do need this book. 
Final Verdict: The World's Greatest Detective- If you're looking for a good old murder mystery, middle-grade style, then this is the book for you!! SUCH A WONDERFUL BOOK!!


A copy of this book was received for review consideration. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts