Graphic Novel Review: Monster


Monster by Walter Dean Myers, adapted by Guy A. Sims and illustrated by Dawud Anyabwile, October 20, 2015. Published by Amistad. 160 pages. Source: Borrowed from Library.
A stunning black-and-white graphic novel adaptation of Walter Dean Myers's Michael L. Printz Award winner and New York Times bestseller Monster, adapted by Guy Sims and illustrated by Dawud Anyabwile

Monster is a multi-award-winning, provocative coming-of-age story about Steve Harmon, a teenager awaiting trial for a murder and robbery. As Steve acclimates to juvenile detention and goes to trial, he envisions the ordeal as a movie. Monster was the first-ever Michael L. Printz Award recipient, an ALA Best Book, a Coretta Scott King Honor selection, and a National Book Award finalist.

Now Monster has been adapted into a graphic novel by Guy Sims, with stunning black-and-white art from Dawud Anyabwile, Guy's brother.

Fans of Monster and of the work of Walter Dean Myers—and even kids who think they don't like to read—will devour this graphic adaptation.
First Sentence
Most people in our community are decent, hardworking citizens who pursue their own interests legally and without infringing on the rights of others...But there are also monsters in our communities...people who are willing to steal and to kill...People who disregard the rights of others.



I totally meant to write my thoughts on this one back in October, before NaNoWriMo but was not able to finish it in time. So, here I am two months later trying to get my thoughts on this one out (oops).


  • While Monster is not the first Walter Dean Myers book I have read, it is the first I have spoken about here on the blog. Even though I have not read a lot of his books, nor remember what I have read (it was before I joined GR, you know), I do remember that his storytelling was always quite good. Typically, I would read the novel before the graphic novel adaptation, yet with this one, I felt that it would read better as a graphic novel, so when I spotted it at my library I went ahead and snagged it. Given the way the story is told, as Steve Harmon envisions his ordeal as a movie, it makes perfect sense for the story to be more visual. 

  • If you haven't read Monster, then I highly recommend that you do (especially the graphic novel) because it is both well written and an interesting topic. I say it is an interesting topic for two reasons- first because Steve Harmon's story is that of one who has been falsely framed for something he didn't do; secondly, because what happens to him during the course of the book are things that will most likely stay with him forever. I know, my explanation is clumsy, but I felt the author did a great job capturing the emotional range that Steve felt during the course of the book. 


  • I don't think that this book would have had quite the same impact had I read the novel version. Seeing the story visually made it all the more powerful as you could see, on the page, all that Steve was feeling and how he was mentally retelling all that was happening framing it as a movie. As for the illustrations, I liked that the panels were kept pretty simple as it gave the scenes a more vivid effect. It draws your eye to the primary focus of the story without letting you get lost in too much detail. 


Final Verdict: Monster: the Graphic Novel- Steve Harmon's story is definitely worth checking out.  The overall story and illustrations make a great combination.

Monster: The Graphic Novel earns


A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts