I Want to Read It (41): The Ides of March



I Want to Read It, a hybrid between WLW (or WOW) and what's on my to-be read pile. Well, instead of focusing just on books I would like to acquire, I will be using it to feature books that I just want to read. From the one's I want to buy to the one's sitting on my TBR at home.



The Ides of March by Thornton Wilder, September 16, 2003 (originally published in 1948). Published by Harper Perennial Modern Classics. Source: Want to Read It.
'The Ides of March', first published in 1948, is a brilliant epistolary novel set in Julius Caesar's Rome. Thornton Wilder called it "a fantasia on certain events and persons of the last days of the Roman republic." 
Through vividly imagined letters and documents, Wilder brings to life a dramatic period of world history and one of history's most magnetic, elusive personalities.
In this inventive narrative, the Caesar of history becomes Caesar the human being. Wilder also resurrects the controversial figures surrounding Caesar - Cleopatra, Catullus, Cicero, and others. All Rome comes crowding through these pages - the Rome of villas and slums, beautiful women and brawling youths, spies and assassins.
Why

After having read The Bridge of San Luis Rey (again) this year, I decide to see if there were any other books by Thornton Wilder that piqued my interest. Believe it or not, I actually found another one of his books that I would not mind reading- The Ides of March

It may just be that my history nerdy side is showing, but, the idea of seeing the story of Caesar retold in a way that makes him more human, as the synopsis says, is intriguing to say the least. I have zero expectations on whether or not it'll actually be worth reading...just that I am intrigued enough to look into reading it.

Have you read either  The Bridge of San Luis Rey (which I highly recommend) or  The Ides of March? What did you think of them?


Comments

Popular Posts