Children's Book Review: Dining With Dinosaurs


Dining With Dinosaurs: A Tasty Guide to Mesozoic Munching by Hannah Bonner, September 20, 2016. 48 pages. Published by National Geographic Children's Books. Source: Publicist for review.
Sure you know T-Rex was the meat-eating king and brontosaurus munched on leaves, but what else was on the dino dining menu during the Mesozoic era?

Meet the 'vores: carnivores, piscivores, herbivores, insectivores, "trashivores," "sunivores," and omnivores like us.

Readers will be surprised and inspired to learn about dino diets and they'll get to explore how scientists can tell which dinosaurs ate what just from looking at fossils!

Journey through artist and author Hannah Bonner's whimsical world to learn how the dinosaurs and their contemporaries bit, chewed, and soaked up their food.


You know that I rarely accept children's books for review. But, how could I possibly say no to one that featured dinosaurs?!? What can I say, even now I'm still a huge fan of dinosaurs and could not resist delving into this one.

  • Dining with Dinosaurs uses a light touch to talk about what dinosaurs, of all kinds, ate and their role within the chain. It was both insightful and entertaining to read; and something I think readers, of many ages, will find enjoyable and informative. It really hit a great balance that should appeal to those interested in learning more about all the 'vores'.
  • It was nice to see scattered throughout the book sections where the guide of the book, for lack of a better term, spoke with those in the field of paleontology. It gave the book a broader scope and credibility. I'm not trying to be mean, it was just nice to see the short Q&As with them throughout the book. It was a nice addition.
  • As for the illustrations, they were pretty nice. I know, I may be some what harder to please when it comes to illustrations; yet I thought they were good and age appropriate albeit more like caricature-istic then what I would personally prefer. Yet they were really well suited for the tone of the book and the age range that it is aimed at; and did not take anything away from my enjoyment.
  •  Overall, this was a fun, well written, and thoroughly enjoyable. It covered everything from carnivores to plants. A book that I'm sure will delight readers and get them curious to learn more about paleontology and dinosaurs. Would I have liked it to be longer, well, yeah. Would a more in-depth look into the field of paleontology have been cool? Always! But like I said, this is really a good book, just that my dinosaur loving self is craving more.   
Final Verdict: Dining with Dinosaurs- Entertaining and enjoyable, a great combination if you ask me!

Dining with Dinosaurs earns


A copy of this book was received in consideration for review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts