All About Middle Grade Review: The Neptune Project


The Neptune Project (Neptune Project, 1) by Polly Holyoke, May 21, 2013. 340 pages. Published by Disney-Hyperion. Source: borrowed from library.
With her weak eyes and useless lungs that often leave her gasping for air, Nere feels more at home swimming with the dolphins her mother studies than she does hanging out with her classmates. Nere has never understood why she is so much more comfortable and confident in the water than on land until the day she learns the shocking truth—she is one of a group of kids who have been genetically altered to survive in the ocean. These products of the "Neptune Project" are supposed to build a better future under the waves, safe from the terrible famines and wars and that rock the surface world.

But there are some big challenges ahead of her: no one ever asked Nere if she wanted to be part of a science experiment; the other Neptune kids aren't exactly the friendliest bunch, and in order to reach the safe haven of the new Neptune colony, Nere and her fellow mutates must swim across hundreds of miles of dangerous ocean, relying on their wits, their loyal dolphins and one another to evade terrifying undersea creatures and a government that will stop at nothing to capture the Neptune kids ... dead or alive.

Fierce battle and daring escapes abound as Nere and her friend race to safety in this action-packed marine adventure.
First Sentence:
I wake to an urgent tap at my window.


It has taken me two years to get my hands on a copy, albeit only temporarily since I borrowed it from the library, of Polly Holyoke's The Neptune Project. After interviewing her in 2013, I had been looking for a chance to read her debut and since I don't have the luxury of buying all the books (wish I did though) I had to wait on the library. I'll say this now, it was well worth the wait!!!

As I'm somewhat behind on review writing because, well, summer and being busy, I am only just now reviewing this amazing book. Well, I'm pretty sure I haven't reviewed it yet...at least when I search my blog its' not listed.

Sometimes you read a really good book and when you finally sit down to talk about it, well,  your mind draws a blank on where to start. The thing is, I pretty much knew that I was going to enjoy The Neptune Project before I even started it. That being said, I ended up liking it even more than I thought because the whole premise was intriguing and the writing just captured my attention. There were many reasons that this book 'worked' for me and I'll try my best to explain why.

The first thing that captured my attention with The Neptune Project was the project itself and the reason that it was implemented. I was really intrigued with how the project got started as well as the whole situation surrounding the world in which Nere and them lived. I also couldn't wait to see how the change would come about and how they would handle it. I'm trying not to give too much away, but Polly Holyoke did a wonderful job with the transition between the change and the difficulties that Nere and the rest of the Neptune Kids went through.

One thing I really enjoyed about the characters were their story arcs. Seeing how they each were forced to work through their anger over having no say over the change the happened, I found it interesting to see how they handled it. While it definitely was no cake walk learning to live in the ocean-between sharks and such, as well, as the government officials looking to capture them-it was quite the roller coaster ride. I'm terrible with names...as you can see.

I'm guessing that it is pretty obvious how much I enjoyed not only the writing but the overall plot of The Neptune Project. I just really enjoyed Polly Holyoke's writing style and the way the story unfolded. The plot was exciting and full of intrigue that has me plotting ways to get my hands on the second installment. Everything about this book was enjoyable and the fast pace of it, well, it just grabs you from the beginning.

Final Verdict: The Neptune Project- I'm out of words...so just read it because it is pretty awesome!!

The Neptune Project earns
This book was borrowed from the library because I wanted to read it. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts