Angel Sanctuary 2

Angel Sanctuary 2 by Kaori Yuki, 2004 (originally published in 2000). 192 pages. Published by Viz Media. Source: Borrowed.
The most insane creatures in the nine planes of heaven and nine planes of hell are all telling messed-up teenager, Setsuna, that he is the reincarnation of an angel. That wouldn't be so bad except that some of these beings are trying to kill him and others want him to lead them in a revolt against God! All Setsuna wants to do is keep a sister he loves away from the dangerous creatures that are trying to harm her. Unfortunately some of the worst harm can come from Setsuna's love, which threatens to bloom into full-blown incest! How can he protect her from himself?!
First Sentence:
Hey!
I may have rambled just a wee bit in this review. o_O

Story:

I really thought that by the second volume of Angel Sanctuary I would have a better feel for both the storyline, characters, and just overall plot of the series; sadly, that is not the case. If anything, everything seems to be more muddled than before.

One of the things that is driving me crazy while reading this is that it seems like every chapter a new character is added, and that so much time is spent introducing them that nothing is getting ironed out and explained.
   I did however like that this volume had more action and less of the Setsuna/Sara thing, as well as the conclusion to the storyline envolving Sara's friend.
What I am hoping will be covered more throughly in the next installment is the return to the mystery concerning the Angel Sanctuary game since that is what originally drew me into reading and continuing to read this series.

The one thing I did really enjoy about this volume of Angel Sanctuary was that you got to learn a little more about the mysterious Kira, the immortal guy who befriended Setsuna and kind of helps keep him alive. Even though I do not car for him much, I am finding that his role in the story is by far the most interesting.
   Well, what I like least about this manga can be found in my thoughts on the characters, just below.
Character(s):
What is really preventing me from fully enjoying this manga is the twisted relationship between Setsuna and Sara...his sister. Now this would not bother me so much if one of them were adopted, but that they are blood siblings is just flat wrong and disturbing.
My other, main, problem with the characters is that there does not seem to be much in the way of character development. I mean, you have the same thing going round and round between Setsuna and Sara, and neither one seems to be capable of more than "I love him/her, but shouldn't because it's wrong".  
Artwork:
While I may not be sold on the characters of Angel Sanctuary I am really enjoying Kaori Yuki's art work.
I really enjoy how with each of the panels you can feel the intensity of the feelings captured in the moment, from the violent fight scenes as both the angels and demons fought to either kill him or sway him to there side; as well...just all the panels. Truthfully the art of this manga is why I'm still reading this series.

Final Verdict: Angel Sanctuary 2 still not exactly sure how I feel about this series. *goes to ponder it some more*

Angel Sanctuary earns 3.5 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

Popular Posts