In My Mailbox (42)

In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Sadly the only books I order are those that are hard to find. The following books are from the library and bookstores.

Library:
Author: Isaac Asimov
Title: I, Robot
Series: The Robots (book 1)
Publication Date: 1950
Synopsis: “They mustn’t harm a human being, they must obey human orders, and they must protect their own existence…but only so long as that doesn’t violate rules one and two. With these Three Laws of Robotics, humanity embarked on a bold new era of evolution that would open up enormous possibilities-and unforeseen risks. For the scientists who invented the earliest robots weren’t content that their creations should remain programmed helpers, companions, and semisentient worker-machines. And soon the robots themselves, aware of their own intelligence, power, and humanity, aren’t either.
As humans and robots struggle to survive together- and sometimes against each other-on earth and in space, the future of both hangs in the balance. Here human men and women confront robots gone mad, telepathic robots, robot politicians, and vast robotic intelligences that may already secretly control the world. And both are asking the same questions: What is a human? And is humanity obsolete?"

Author: Susanne Dunlap
Title: The Musicians Daughter
Publication Date: 2008
Synopsis: "Amid the glitter and glamour of musical and court life in 18th century Vienna, fifteen-year-old Theresa Maria Shurman is trying to solve a brutal mystery. Who killed her father, an acclaimed violinist, and stole his valuable Amati violin? When Haydn himself offers her a position as his assistant, it gives Theresa access to life in the palace–and to a world of deceit. Theresa uncovers blackmail and extortion even as she discovers courage and honor in unexpected places: from a Gypsy camp on the banks of the Danube, to the rarefied life of the imperial family. And she feels the stirrings of a first, tentative love for someone who is as deeply involved in the mystery as she is."


Author: Kathleen Duey
Title: Sacred Scars
Series: A Resurrection of Magic (book 2)
Publication Date: 2009
Synopsis: "Sadima, Franklin, and Somiss, driven out of Limòri by a suspicious fire, are living in a cave hidden within the cliffs that overlook the city. Somiss is convinced the dark passages of the caves were the home of ancient magicians, and his obsession with restoring magic deepens. Sadima dreams of escape — for her, for Franklin, and for the orphaned street boys Somiss has imprisoned in a crowded cage. Somiss claims he will teach these boys magic, that they will become his first students, but Sadima knows he is lying.

Generations later, Hahp is struggling to survive the wizards' increasingly dangerous classes at the Limòri Academy of Magic. He knows the fragile pact he has forged with his secretive roommate, Gerrard, will not be enough to put an end to the evil. It will take all the students acting together to have any chance of destroying the academy. Building trust, with few chances to speak or plan, will be almost impossible, but there is no choice."
Author: James Patterson
Title: Fang
Series: Maximum Ride (book 6)
Publication Date: 2010
Synopsis: "Max and the Flock are flying high over Africa, but this time they're not alone. A sky full of cargo planes accompanies the team as they bring much-needed aid to the continent's poverty stricken regions. Among the volunteers is the mission's benefactor–the mysterious billionaire, Dr. Hans Gunther-Hagen. Max is intrigued by his generosity, but there's also something about him–and his intense scrutiny of the Flock–that makes her nervous."


I'm really excited about this weeks pile of books. I picked up I, Robot because I loved the movie, plus I've been meaning to read an Isaac Asimov book for ages. The Musicians Daughter sounded really good so I decided to give it a shot (and so far it's really good). I was happy when I saw Sacred Scars was available from my library and so immediately put it on hold. I also got Fang which I read last night.
So that all for me this week in books. Cannot wait to see what everyone else got. Hope y'all had a fantastic book week.

Orchid
____________________________________________
1. All books were borrowed from my library.

Comments

  1. I read a short story that was based on I, Robot called I, Rowboat. I thought it was kinda funny . . . :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, Robot was crazy good, but I garauntee you will be SOBBING YOUR FACE OFF when you finish Fang. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaac Asimov is WONDERFUL! I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I saw FANG all over the place at the bookstore yesterday. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Musician's daughter looks interesting. I'm not normally a fan of YA Lit, but the description caught my eye.

    I've been meaning to read I, Robot as it's been sitting on my shelf for a while now, but I keep pushing it back on my TBR list. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts