26 Capes Later: Day Twenty-Six

Movie: Ultraviolet
Release Date: 2006
Runtime: 94 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Future Dystopia
Synopsis: "This entry in the videogame-as-movie sweepstakes borrows equally from Japanese anime, comic books, martial-arts films, and -- most improbably -- John Cassavetes' 1980 thriller, Gloria. In terms of production design and action choreography, it most closely resembles the recent Aeon Flux, right down to the provocatively clad, emotionally distant female protagonist. And, like that Charlize Theron star vehicle, it takes place in a dystopian future that finds the remnants of humanity centrally located in a megalopolis ruled by an elite group of scientists. Violet (Milla Jovovich), one of a rebel faction infected with a virus that enhances physical prowess, is directed to find and seize a rumored super-weapon currently held by the city's totalitarian rulers. That "weapon" turns out to be a young boy named Six (Cameron Bright), whose mutant genetic structure may hold the secret to a cure for the virus. When Six becomes a target, Violet takes desperate measures to keep him alive. Director Kurt Wimmer might easily have made this frankly derivative mélange a delirious spoof, but he opts instead for a grim tone. Fans of Matrix-styled fights and shootouts may experience déjà vu amid Wimmer's impressive array of combat scenes, which hit the marks but break little new ground."

I thought I'd do something a little different this time. So here's what a one of my friends thought of Ultra violet.

Review of Ultraviolet, by 21
In the beginning of this movie, Violet said that she was, "Born into a world that you might not understand," and boy howdy, was she right! I spent half of this movie scratching my head and the other half asking what was going on. There were a few good fight scenes, but I felt that they overused the whole circular fighting thing where the good guy is surrounded by baddies. Once, cool. Twice, a bit of a push. Three times, apsolutely ridiculous. I did like how her hair changed color though, but I'm not sure what the point of that was... Over all, I give this a two out of five, and I don't think I'll be watching it again, but that's just be me. *shrugs*

The movie Ultraviolet is made of awesomeness. It has a fantastic cast and great action sequences.
Ultraviolet stars Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil) and Cameron Bright (X-Men: the Last Stand) and some other people.
I loved how in the beginning of the movie Violet's hair and clothes kept changing colors; it was pretty cool (I wish I could change my hair color as easy as she did).
I think my favorite scenes were the flaming sword fight scene at the end of the move and when Violet was fighting Nerva and the rest of his goons; oh, and every other fight scene. In short I loved the whole movie.
I highly recommend watching the extended version Ultraviolet it makes more sense than the theatrical version.

Dame Orchid

Comments

Popular Posts