X Marks the Spot

One of my more embarrassing guilty pleasures happens to be The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot (I love Meg's YA books).
I am so excited about the upcoming release of "Forever Princess" in January (I wish it would be out in time for Christmas), even though Mia makes me so mad sometimes (OK, most of the time), because she is so self obsorbed (I won't say any more, just in case you didn't read "Princess Mia"). And don't even get me started on Lily her (ex) best friend, who (is extremly jealous of Mia) hates that Mia's a princess (she started Ihatemiathermopolis.com, but could there a reason behind Lily's madness?).

I wonder, does anyone else (sometimes) prefer sidekick, bestfriend, non main characters, over the star of the book?


"The Princess Diaries wraps up in a series finale certain to please the legions of Princess Mia fans. Cabot shows off her singular ability to retread her story lines while leaving audiences breathless to get to the last page: Mia will be certain that this time she's sunk, for real, and oblivious to what is writ large to everyone around her. Here she copes with the pressures of prom (J.P. hasn't asked her), graduation and college acceptances (she's lied through her teeth about them), not to mention her 18th birthday and a party orchestrated by the imposing Grandmère. And why doesn't anyone want to publish her pseudonymous romance novel, Ransom My Heart? (Brief excerpts are tossed in, and absolute devotees can polish off the entire work. When former boyfriend Michael returns from Japan with his revolutionary medical technology a complete success, Mia is where readers love her: insecure and self-deprecating. By now, however, she understands that being royal means "always being the bigger person, and being kind to others"-and she can act accordingly. A character like this deserves the happy ending Cabot virtually guarantees."
Dame Orchid

Comments

  1. I read a little of the first book before I lost interest. It just wasn't my thing.

    Hmm, I can't think of a supporting character that I liked more than the main chacacter. I've liked other characters as much as the main character, but never more... at least not that I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I like this series. I also find Mia to be very annoying. I wish she would think about the effect her decisions could have on other people before she blindly goes through with her crazy ideas.
    I have also noticed how sidekicks can be more interesting than the main characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts