Graphic Novel Review: Snow White



Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan, September 13, 2016. 216 pages. Published by Candlewick Press. Source: Borrowed from Library.
The scene: New York City, 1928. The dazzling lights cast shadows that grow ever darker as the glitzy prosperity of the Roaring Twenties screeches to a halt. Enter a cast of familiar characters: a young girl, Samantha White, returning after being sent away by her cruel stepmother, the Queen of the Follies, years earlier; her father, the King of Wall Street, who survives the stock market crash only to suffer a strange and sudden death; seven street urchins, brave protectors for a girl as pure as snow; and a mysterious stock ticker that holds the stepmother in its thrall, churning out ticker tape imprinted with the wicked words "Another . . . More Beautiful . . . KILL." In a moody, cinematic new telling of a beloved fairy tale, extraordinary graphic novelist Matt Phelan captures the essence of classic film noir on the page—and draws a striking distinction between good and evil.

Back in January, I stumbled upon Snow White: A Graphic Novel as I was getting ready to check out some books from the library. Sure, I had like eight books in hand already, so what was one more to the stack. =)
  • I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Though it was the artwork more than the actual story that made it such an interesting read. For one thing, the story itself is almost more like an old silent film where you only see the occasional dialogue to describe what is going on. Not that this 1920s retelling of Snow White isn't interesting, it was just that the artwork did a way better job bringing it to life. 

  • I guess you may be wondering why I enjoyed the art so much. Well, let me tell you. I liked it because of the simple way Matt Phelan brought his version of Snow White to life. I thought his illustrations really fit the roaring twenties and Snow's story. I'll admit it, I was not too sure how it would work visually when I first started reading it. Yet, the deeper I got into it the more it just felt right for the overall story and setting. 


  • While I didn't love the actual story, as it felt a little lacking, I can say that it was still an enjoyable take on the classic story. But when it comes to Snow White, I have always felt that the story itself could use a little more 'oomph'.  The story, both the original and this retelling, are interesting in their own rights, yet it would have been interesting to see the author (or maybe some future author) expand upon her story and give it more depth. 


Final Verdict: Snow White: A Graphic Novel- The artwork beautifully captures the roaring twenties in black and white. The story was a little lackluster though and could have used a little more life...but the artwork was great!!




A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts