DNF Review: The Midnight Queen



The Midnight Queen (Noctis Magicae, 1) by Sylvia Izzao Hunter, September 2, 2016. 417 pages. Published by Ace. Source: Blogging for Books.
In the hallowed halls of Oxford’s Merlin College, the most talented—and highest born—sons of the Kingdom of Britain are taught the intricacies of magickal theory. But what dazzles can also destroy, as Gray Marshall is about to discover…
Gray’s deep talent for magick has won him a place at Merlin College. But when he accompanies four fellow students on a mysterious midnight errand that ends in disaster and death, he is sent away in disgrace—and without a trace of his power. He must spend the summer under the watchful eye of his domineering professor, Appius Callender, working in the gardens of Callender’s country estate and hoping to recover his abilities. And it is there, toiling away on a summer afternoon, that he meets the professor’s daughter.

Even though she has no talent of her own, Sophie Callender longs to be educated in the lore of magick. Her father has kept her isolated at the estate and forbidden her interest; everyone knows that teaching arcane magickal theory to women is the height of impropriety. But against her father’s wishes, Sophie has studied his ancient volumes on the subject. And in the tall, stammering, yet oddly charming Gray, she finally finds someone who encourages her interest and awakens new ideas and feelings.
First Sentence
It was his own fault entirely, Gray reflected later.



I should not have had such high expectations going into The Midnight Queen. My expectations just left me all the more disappointed when I could not even make it out of the prologue. Ugh!!

  • While I'm sure this must be a perfectly fine book, it just was not for me. Everything about the characters annoyed me, and I only read maybe ten pages, as he came across as a total pushover with absolutely no personality. I just wanted to tell the stupid guy to get some backbone and, you know, make an actual decision for himself. GAH!! I'm still rather steamed up over this!!
  • Sadly, I was not only dismayed by the lackluster characterization but also that of the writing and world building. Which is really disappointing as the synopsis made it sound like such an interesting book. I was really looking forward to seeing the world that the author created; yet when I slipped into it, there was nothing that made me want to stick around. World building is one of my favorite things about fantasy books, so when I come across one that's, to be blunt, is unable to stand out it can be rather disheartening. 
  • I was just unimpressed with this one. About the only thing, I found favorable about The Midnight Queen was the cover and the nice map of the world included in the front of the book. I wish that there were more positive aspects of the book to share with y'all, but this book just left me bored and uninterested in seeing the main character's, whose name I've already forgotten, fate.
Final Verdict: The Midnight Queen- I just do not have time for the levels of boredom that this book elicited.

The Midnight Queen earns


A copy of this book was received for review consideration. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts