Classic Book Review: Lilies of the Field


Lilies of the Field by William Edmund Barrett, July 29, 1988 (originally published in 1962). Published by Grand Central Publishing. Source: Own.
The Haunting Miracle of a Humble Man and Four Nuns who Built a Little Church. A Poignant and Passionate Story of Change. Homer Smith was twenty-four. He stood six foot two and his skin was a deep, warm black. There was laughter in him. After leaving the army he bought a second-hand station wagon, equipped it for sleeping and living, and set off to see the west. That was how he came to drive by the field where four German nuns were working. One was clearing an area of cultivated land, three more were building a fence. For some obscure reason Homer Smith stopped to help - and that's where the drama began. With these simple circumstances William E. Barrett has written a novelette which has all the emotional and spiritual force of a full novel. There is significance without preaching, faith enveloped with humor. The result is a story of magnitude because of its very simplicity. 
First Sentence:




Reading Lilies of the Field was something I did on a whim when I found it sitting on one of the communal shelves at home. This reading of random books seems to happen more and more lately; at least they've all been good. To be honest, I was not expecting to like this book. There was no real synopsis to go off on, and the cover looked really old, yet this was such a beautiful story.

  • Even though Lilies of the Field is an extremely short book, it was so beautifully written with a story that was just so good. I really liked Homer Smith and the German nuns that he helped out. The contrast between their characters was interesting; he going where the road led him, and the nuns daring to build where none wanted them. 
  • I am having the hardest time putting my thoughts into words right now. This book was just that good. The dynamic between Homer and Mother Maria was definitely something as she believed that he was sent to help them build their chapel; while he thought it was just because he felt like it at the time. I am in no way putting this well, you would have to read it to see what I mean. 
  • Gah! The writing was so good and did such a great job illustrating the characters personalities. I loved seeing their faith and how they slowly came to understand each others' point of view. Yes, things were rough but that's what made it all the better. Seriously though, if you haven't read Lilies of the Field, please, please give it a chance (with an open mind). I have no  more words...
Final Verdict: Lilies of the Field- A beautiful story, and I don't say that lightly, that was well written. It may not be all new and glossy, but it is well worth taking the time to read.

Lilies of the Field earns

I own, okay my family does, a copy of this book. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

  1. I remember reading this book and liking it a lot. I agree with your review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts