YA Review: Blue Lily, Lily Blue



Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle, 3) by Maggie Stiefvater, October 21, 2014. 391 pages. Published by Scholastic Press. Source: Borrowed from library.
There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up.

Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.

The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.

Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.
Certainties can unravel.
First Sentence:
Persephone stood on the bare mountaintop, her ruffled ivory dress whipping around her legs.


Early last year, I decided that it was time to give Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle a chance. While this series had piqued my interest, I did shy away from reading it because her other series just did not sound like my thing. Fast forward to this year, and I have finally gotten around to reading BLLB.

Well...
  • It started off a little on the slow side. Part of the problem might have been that I kind of forgot what had happened at the end of Dream Thieves, which did not help in the least. It ended up taking me maybe fifty pages to really get back into the world. Though one good point for a slow start, it gave me time to recall what had occurred at the end of the previous book.
  • Oh man, Maggie Stiefvater knows how to write about friendships. Probably the thing I like best about this series is the character dynamics. I really enjoyed seeing how they tried to set aside their personal, more than friends, feelings to preserve things. If there were more books with friendships like this series, I would be one happy reader. I just really enjoyed the connections between the characters.
  • Ah! I cannot believe that they finally got close/discovered something. I was starting to wonder if they would ever do more than search for Glendower. So it was nice to see actually results, even if they were not exactly, well, positive ones. 
  • While the progression towards their goal has been slow, this book moved the plot forward quite a bit. What I liked about Blue Lily, Lily Blue most was seeing the build-up from the first two books coming to fruition. 
  • The only thing that I did not like about Blue Lily, Lily Blue is that I was hoping for more to happen. I know, so much transpired, it was just that I was hoping the story would move further along then what it did. 
Final Verdict: Blue Lily, Lily Blue- The story progression and character growth are what made this an interesting read. I for one am looking forward to eventually reading the next, and final, volume.

You can also see my thoughts on the first two Raven Cycle books.
Raven Boys
Dream Thieves

Blue Lily, Lily Blue earns

A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts