Graphic Novel Review: Outlaw: Legend of Robin Hood


Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood by Tony Lee,illustrated by Sam Hart and Artur Fujita, September 22, 2009. 160 pages. Published by Candlewick Press. Source: borrowed from library.
How did Robin of Loxley become Robin Hood? Why did he choose to fight injustice instead of robbing for his own gain? Expressive and gritty, this graphic novel whisks readers back to Crusades-era England, where the Sheriff of Nottingham rules with an iron fist, and in the haunted heart of Sherwood Forest, a defiant rogue — with the help of his men and the lovely Maid Marian — disguises himself to become an outlaw. Lively language and illustrations follow the legendary hero as he champions the poor and provokes a high-stakes vendetta in a gripping adventure sure to draw a new generation of readers.
First Sentence:
A moment if you please!


Last month, I went through a bit of a graphic novel binge.  It all started because I couldn't sleep and just kept hitting request while browsing the online library catalog. That being said, I actually really enjoyed Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood. It was really good.
  • While I haven't read much about Robin Hood, it is one legend that has piqued my curiosity over time. There's just something about the legend that has the ability to draw one in. That being said, what I liked about this graphic novel was that the story was not sugar-coated or toned down. It was violent, which is what one would expect for a story about an outlaw. Or at least, that's what I expected. 
  • Personally, I liked that idea that Robin Hood, at least this version, got the inspiration for being an outlaw from outside himself. While I don't agree with the whole outlaw thing, it was interesting to visually see the story come about. Even though I liked visually seeing the story of Robin Hood, I was not head-over-heels for the artwork. It was good, just not, well, exceptional. It was just there.
  • What they did a great job on was the villains. The bad guys were truly unlikable and, well, very much the bad guys you'd expect them to be. As for the "good" guys, I liked Robin Hood and his band of friends. I found them interesting because they were decently written.
  • The writing was pretty good and seemed to hit the biggest aspects of the legend of Robin Hood. While, maybe, adding in some elements to make it stand on its own. Like I said, I'm not all that familiar with the legend, so I could be mistaken.

Final Verdict: Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood- If you like graphic novels or just like Robin Hood, this would be an interesting one to pick up. It's has both its good and bad points, but is overall pretty interesting.



A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

  1. Good review. Makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It was an interesting take on the legend of Robin Hood.

      Delete
  2. I read this, based on your review, and it was everything you said it was. Tony Lee also has a book on Joan of Arc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts