All About Middle Grade Review: Beyond the Door


Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, 1) by Maureen Doyle McQuerry, March 1, 2014. 384 pages. Published by Amulet Books. Source: author.
With his love of learning and the game of Scrabble, Timothy James feels like the only person who understands him is his older sister, Sarah, and he’s fairly certain nothing interesting will ever happen to him. But one night, while his parents and sister are away, the door opens, and mythical creatures appear in his own living room! Soon, a mystery of unparalleled proportions begins to unfold, revealing an age-old battle of Light against Dark, and Timothy must embark on a quest to prevent the Dark from controlling the future and changing the past. But he can’t complete the quest alone. Timothy has to team up with his sister and the school bully, Jessica, to face an ancient evil, and in the process, this unlikely trio discover they are each more than meets the eye.
First Sentence:
Stooped and shuffling, the man slipped soundlessly through the shadows of night.


It may have taken me an embarrassingly long time to finally read Beyond the Door, but, it was well worth waiting for the right moment to read it! I absolutely loved the entire book and am now plotting ways (probably annoying my library) to get my hands on The Telling Stone!! *be sure to check out her guest post from two years ago*

Beyond the Door is one I meant to read ages ago. Problem was that I misplaced it amidst the 900+ books that have overrun my room. Even so, I can happily tell you that this book was great and Maureen McQuerry's writing was so enjoyable! Ah, I cannot even tell you how much I enjoyed this book!! *hint a LOT*

From the moment I started reading Beyond the Door I knew I was going to like it. The main reason for this gut feeling would have to be because I loved the relationship between Timothy and Sarah. It was just so, so nice to read a book where the siblings were able to count on each other. There are just not enough books out their with strong sibling relationships, so, this was a pleasant surprise. Not only did they get along and trust each other, but, Ms. McQuerry did a wonderful job writing about the two.

I cannot tell you how excited I was for the mythology aspect of this book. I must say that it was refreshing beyond all reason to read a book that did not center around Greek mythology (as much as I love those ones). The way it was woven throughout the story and the imagery that her writing brought to life made it all the better. I could literally picture Timothy being hunted through the skies because her writing was that vivid.

In just one book, Maureen McQuerry has earned herself a new fan. Her writing was so vivid and the characters were quite enjoyable, to read about. To have a book where, not only, the siblings get along but where the bully can change for the better, well, that is just perfect! I really liked that through her writing and storytelling she took that everyday average lives of Timothy and Sarah and turned it upside-down. Beyond the Door was exciting to say the least!!

Final Verdict: Beyond the Door- You need to give this book and author a chance!! Beautiful writing and wonderful characterizations makes this a must read!!!

Beyond the Door earns
This book was received in consideration for review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts