Manga Review: The Demon Prince of Momochi House, VOL 1

The Demon Prince of Momochi House, VOL 1 by Aya Shouoto, July 7, 2015. 170 pages. Published by Viz Media. Source: borrowed from sister.
On her sixteenth birthday, orphan Himari Momochi inherits her ancestral estate that she's never seen. Momochi House exists on the barrier between the human and spiritual realms, and Himari is meant to act as guardian between the two worlds. But on the day she moves in, she finds three handsome squatters already living in the house, and one seems to have already taken over her role!






It has been entirely too long since I last reviewed some manga here on the blog. So, when my sister insisted that I read The Demon Prince of Momochi House I could not say no, she didn't have to try to hard, because it looked right up my alley.

My first impression, based on the cover, was that he looked an awful lot like Tomoe from Kamisama Kiss... design similarity aside I find myself really enjoying the humor of The Demon Prince of Momochi and am impatiently awaiting the release of the second volume. Now, well, now I guess it's time to dive into why I enjoyed this one.

Five Reasons Why I liked it:

1. I liked Himari and the three guys (don't ask me their names because, well, I don't remember them and don't have the book at hand). Even though they tried their best to scare her off from taking up residence, I liked her stubbornness and that she was not about to give up what was hers. While she did make some stupid mistakes, it was her heart that won me over...well that and seeing the dynamics of friendship (and maybe more) popping up.

2. I liked the idea behind the Momoshi house and how it straddled the real world and that of the underworld. I found it interesting because it deepened the mystery surrounding who sent her the message about the house and why they wanted her there. Really, I am dying to know more of why after all those years she was finally made aware of her inheritance and what that person's motives are. Call me suspicious but something is definitely going in here,

3. Even though I could have been annoyed by the three guys trying to scare Himori off, I found myself interested in why they didn't won't her around. While I thought the guardian was going to be cocky, he actually wasn't. I am very curious to see where things are going to go in regards to the three guys and what their history is (I'm sure there's a backstory waiting to be told there).

4. The artwork was really nice. I enjoyed how well Aya Shouoto captured the setting and characters. I'm really bad about talking about the artwork in the manga I read, so...I'll try. Visually, the artwork really helps to tell the story and bring the characters to life. Personally, I just really enjoyed it, yet, cannot find the words to describe why I liked her art.

5. It was fun to read. I pretty much had a silly grin on my face and was forced to muffle my laughing as it was after midnight when I decided to start it. What can I say, it was just the right amount of light and funny with a hint of mystery.

Yeah, so, those are my five reasons for enjoying The Demon Prince of Momochi House. I probably rambled and talked in circles, but, what can you expect when your brain's allergy addled and you just want to share your thoughts on something you read. So, read it, enjoy it, and join me on impatiently awaiting the second volume.

   
this book was borrowed for my reading pleasure. All thoughts are my own and shared because I felt like it. :p

Comments

Popular Posts