Catholic Review: Life of Christ

Life of Christ by Fulton J. Sheen, September 16, 2008 (first published January 1, 1958). 658 pages. Published by Image. Source: bought.
Widely proclaimed a classic work of Christian faith, Life of Christ has been hailed as the most eloquent of Fulton J. Sheen's many books. The fruit of many years of reflection, prayer, and research, it is a dramatic and moving recounting of the birth, life, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Christ, and a passionate portrait of the God-Man, the teacher, the healer, and, most of all, the Savior, whose promise has sustained humanity for two millenia.

With his customary insight and reverence, Sheen interprets the Scripture and describes Christ not only in historical perspective but also in exciting and contemporary terms -- seeing in Christ's life both modern parallels and timeless lessons. His thoughtful, probing analysis provides new insight into well-known Gospel events.

An appealing blend of philosophy, history, and biblical exegesis, from the best-known and most-loved American Catholic leader of the twentieth century, Life of Christ has long been a source of inspiration and guidance. For those seeking to better understand the message of Jesus Christ, this vivid retelling of the greatest story ever lived is a must-read.




To be completely honest, I'm not sure if I'm quite the right person to review this book because Life of Christ is just so incredibly powerful, also, because I find it hard to review books that strike me so profoundly as this one has. So, please, bear with me as I attempt to draw up the words for a, hopefully, coherent review of Fulton J. Sheen's incredible book.

From the moment I cracked open Life of Christ was back in June for a book club my sisters has dragged me to, I knew that this book would be hard to resist because it was just full of everything; it was inspirational and eye opening when it came the fulfillment of the life of Christ and how everything was foreshadowed within the the Old Testament, to the way that Fulton J. Sheen wrote and brought the whole story of Christ to life, to finally the connections that were brought into the light of day.
   While this book has been around far longer than I have lived, it is just a poignant and relevant to Catholic's today as it was when it was first released in the 1950s. There is no mistaking why this book has been cherished and read by many so many people throughout the years.

Personally, I feel that I have learned so much from reading Life of Christ. Every chapter, be it short or long, is jammed pack with not just the History of Jesus Christ and what He taught while He walked the earth, but, with Bible passages that show the connections between the Old Testament and the New Testament and how the latter was the fulfillment of the former.
    I really cannot even began to tell you a quarter of the things covered in this book because the scope of Jesus' life is so broad. But, one of the things that struck me most throughout the book is how the Cross was always present in His life; from the time he was born it was there as well as the Resurrection. And, how those who would kill Him could not lay a hand upon Him till His Hour had come. And that it was not so much that He would be killed on the Cross, but that he would be laying down His life in order that we may be restored to the love of God.
     I know I probably rambled somewhat there, but that was the most coherently I could get my thoughts out.

As to the writing, Fulton J. Sheen just has a way with words that pulls you into the narrative of Jesus' life in his book Life of Christ. When I was first handed the book I was unsure because it was just so old. But his writing is so powerful and timeless. Truly, I cannot recommend this book enough; not only on the merits of the writing but on the merits of the story itself as it is one that should really be read by all. It is just that good.

Final Verdict: Life of Christ- A truly timeless book about the life of Jesus Christ.

Life of Christ earns

Comments

Popular Posts