Earth Girl

Earth Girl (Earth Girl, 1) by Janet Edwards, March 5, 2013. 271 pages. Published by PYR Books. Source: Publisher for Review.
2788. Only the handicapped live on Earth. Eighteen-year-old Jarra is among the one in a thousand people born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Sent to Earth at birth to save her life, she has been abandoned by her parents. She can’t travel to other worlds, but she can watch their vids, and she knows all the jokes they make. She’s an “ape,” a “throwback,” but this is one ape girl who won’t give in.

Jarra makes up a fake military background for herself and joins a class of norms who are on Earth for a year of practical history studies excavating the dangerous ruins of the old cities. She wants to see their faces when they find out they’ve been fooled into thinking an ape girl was a norm. She isn’t expecting to make friends with the enemy, to risk her life to save norms, or to fall in love.
First Sentence:
It was on Wallam-Crane day that I finally decide what I was going to do for my degree course Foundation year. 


So, I finally found my copy of Earth Girl, it was lost somewhere in the many stacks of books lining my floors.

On a whole, I was surprised by Earth Girl.  For one thing it was nothing like I expected it to be; the general plot line, and setting were original and interesting. Even though I loved the plot, what really made Janet Edwards’ book so addictive would have to be Jarra herself. I loved her character from pretty much the get-go because she was determined to show that she was more than just an ‘ape girl’, I also liked her because she came through all the obstacles  stronger and more comfortable being herself.

While I enjoyed Janet Edward's writing, I really, really liked her world building and character development. I thought the author did a great job of keeping the book in perspective while still giving all the characters room to grow as their respective stories progressed.
  Even though I'm not entirely sure if there is going to be another installment, I would definitely be interested to see were Jarra's story would lead if there is more to her story.

What I really enjoyed the most about Earth Girl would have to be the character development. It was nice to see how much Jarra and those she went to school with changed throughout the book. While I liked the character development, the prejudices that each of them start out with definitely marks this book as one were the characters discover that their pre-conceived thoughts on those different from themselves is not always right. Again, it definitely made for some interesting reading as everyone’s perspectives changed.

The only thing I did not like about Earth Girl was that it was a little unclear how things came about, like, the fact that most people no longer lived on earth or why things were the way they were. I really do wish that the author had explored the changes that went on a little more than she did because it would have given the story more depth. So, Earth Girl was an interesting but could have used a little more backstory for all the changes from the world we know.

Final verdict: Earth Girl- A fascinating sci-fi adventure.

Earth Girl earns 4 out of 5 pineapples

Comments

  1. I've never heard about this book before, but no doubt the cover is pretty and your review makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts