Professor Gargoyle

Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School, 1) by Charles Gilman, September 25, 2012. 160 pages. Published by Quirk Books. Source: publisher.
Every volume in the Lovecraft Middle School series is fully illustrated and features an original lenticular portrait on the cover. Display them on bookshelves—and then watch the cover characters morph into monsters as you pass by!
In Professor Gargoyle, we’re introduced to 11-year-old Robert Ashton and the strange world of Lovecraft Middle School. It’s a brand-new state-of-the-art facility—so why do so many creepy things keep happening? Why is the science teacher acting so strangely? And where are all the rats coming from?
As Robert explores with his new friends Glenn and Carina, he discovers that the school may be a portal to another world.
First Sentence:
Robert Arthur was surrounded by strangers.
I am absolutely loving all the mid grade books this year. They just keep on getting better and better each year.

Professor Gargoyle ended up surprising me in a good way. I really enjoyed the author's, Charles Gilman, writing and his ability to make the main character such a likable little dude.

While the school with a crazy secret is nothing new, I really liked what the author did with his take on the theme. Charles Gilman definitely made it his own because even though there were similarities it had its on uniqueness to the theme.
I really enjoy books were things are not what the seem, especially if the-in this case- school is supposed to be the place to be and Professor Gargoyle did just that. I liked that the plot forced the characters to take a closer look at the way they acted and forced a new alliance between two unlikely kids. It definitely added to something to the story since the main character had to rethink his views and take the fate of the school into his hands.

Even though I enjoyed reading this book immensely, it was incredibly easy for me to unravel the plot and figure out what was going on. While I did guess things early on, I enjoyed reading about how the story came together and how the characters melded into a team to save the day. I definitely cannot wait to read the next one because the ending was definitely a lead up into the next installment.

Robert was just a little on the odd side, but I think that is what makes him such an interesting character to read about. What really made him a good character in my book would have to be that his curiosity wouldn't let him leave the mystery of Lovecraft School alone. He also reminded me of another character that I loved from another great MG read with how he made an unlikely ally. One that I think will prove to be a longtime friend that'll enhance the series.

I am going to go all nerdy on you with what I loved most about Professor Gargoyle. I am in love with the binding and high quality of Quirk Books and this book was just so perfect. While this may sound like an odd thing to love about a book I read, I just couldn't help but love the smallness of the book and how thick the pages felt beneath my fingers. Its bound so nicely that I don't think it is going to have any reading wear and tear for quite some time.

I really enjoyed reading Professor Gargoyle and the only thing that I did not like about this book would have to be the excerpt for book two. Why? Because it made me want the next book all the more and its not available til next year. *am impatient*

Final Verdict:

Professor Gargoyle earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.


Midnight Book Girl

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of this series. It does sound interesting. Glad you are excited for the next book to come out. Thanks for the review.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I first heard of it through Twitter and fell in live with the writing and characters. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts