Audiobook Review: Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices, 2) by Cassandra Clare, read by Ed Westwick and Heather Lind, 2011. 13 discs (15.5 hours). Published by Simon Audio. Source: Publisher (requested).
The situation at the London Institute has never been more precarious. With Mortmain and his clockwork army still threatening, the Council wants to strip Charlotte of her power and hand the running of the Enclave over to the unscrupulous Benedict Lightwood. In the hope of saving Charlotte and the Institute, Will, Jem, and Tessa set out to unravel the secrets of Mortmain's past.
First Sentence:
The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.           
Story
So, I am not sure what more I can say about the most excellent Clockwork Prince, that I haven't already mentioned when I reviewed the book in December.

One of the things that makes Clockwork Prince better than Clockwork Angel would have to be that they mystery concerning Tessa's past is explored a little more as Ms. Clare reveals a couple of pieces to the puzzle. I also liked that you finally got to know the back story on Will and how exactly he came to be living at the Institute with Charlotte and Henry. Although, I must say that I totally had his story pegged and was absolutely right.

Even though I am not one for "love' triangles in the books I read. I could not help but feel sorry for all parties concerned in this one (usually I just ignore the the character I do like or think should be with the MC). While I really do love Ms. Clare's books- both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices-I really wish that she would stray away from throwing triangles in to all of her books, but that is just me.

What did I like best about the audio book of Clockwork Prince, well, that would have to been the new angle that the narration gave to the emotions that both Tessa and Will went through regarding their feelings for one another, and Jem because he does play a pretty big, yet different, role in both of their lives.

Content (will contain spoilers; highlight to see):
While language is not really an issue in Clockwork Prince, there are a couple of scenes of,umm, overly passionate kissing that very nearly goes to far. I'm sure y'all have probably heard of the "dirty, sexy balcony scene", so I'm guessing that I do not need to elaborate on that. That other questionable part of the book would have to be between Tess and Jem, in his room, when they...you guessed it making out and being a little too hands-on.

This will probably come as no surprise, but there is a fair amount of violence in CP: although, the scene where N--- dies was probably the most violent scene in the entire book.

Narration
When I first found out that Clockwork Prince would be a duel narration I was worried. Mainly since the last duel narrative that I listened to was a DNF-the story, characters, and the readers just did not work for me...at all-but I absolutely was pulled into CP, yet again, because Ed Westwick and Heather Lind were brilliant.

Heather Lind, I was definitely excited to listen to another book narrated by her, especially since I loved her reading of Blood Red Road. Did she impress me again, yes. I think that she did a pretty great job when it came to giving Tess her voice, and I loved how she was able to capture the confusion and heartache that Tessa was going through.

Ed Westwick, I admit that I was a little unsure on how he was going to do when it came to Will. Even though I had heard people say that he did a great job, I just was not sure. That is until I listened to his portrayal of Will in Clockwork Prince. Again, I have to say-even if it means repeating myself-that he did an excellent job portraying Will's tortured emotions, and giving them a whole knew depth.

So, what are y'alls thoughts on Clockwork Prince (book or audio)?

Final Verdict: If you thought Clockwork Prince was good when you read it, then you simply must listen to the audio!

Clockwork Prince earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
The Infernal Devices (reviews):
Clockwork Angel
Clockwork Prince

Comments

  1. As the title says this is one of my all time favorite series ever, this includes The Mortal Instruments as well. I bought Clockwork Prince in a thrift store by mistake an let me tell you, BEST MISTAKE EVER! Thank you, Cassandra Clare, you are definitely my favorite author.

    regards,
    russel of Garage Door Repairs Phoenix

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts