Audiobook Review: Cinder

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, 1) by Marissa Meyer, read by Rebecca Soler, 2012. 8 discs (10 hours). Published by Macmillan Audio. Source: Publisher (requested).
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl... Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.
First Sentence:

The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle. 
          
Story
When I first heard about Cinder, a new take on the classic Cinderella tale, I knew that I would have to read it, especially because of the sci-fi twist. It more than surpassed my expectations and literally had me listening to it late into the night.

Sometimes you just come across a book that pulls you in and refuses to let you go, well, that was what Cinder did to me because it pulled in from the very beginning and I loved every minute of it.

What really stuck in my mind while listening to Cinder was Ms. Meyer's writing and the world that she had created in the first installment of the Lunar Chronicles. One of the things I liked best about the world in Cinder would have to be that things were not overly explained, like, the details of how New Beijing looked because it gives you the chance to visualize it for yourself and fill in the blanks which was cool.

While I pretty much figured out the mystery aspect of Cinder pretty early on in the book, I did like the way the it unraveled and that it was revealed to the reader at the same time/pace that cinder herself learned about it.

Cinder, so many things I would like to say about her. I loved her dry and slightly sarcastic attitude, as well, as how she would become awkward, and maybe even a little clumsy, whenever she had to deal the Kai. All that aside, what I really liked about Cinder was that she was a fighter who was not going to go down with out giving it her all.
Prince Kai, I was not expecting to like him...at all. I was kind of prepared for him to be just another annoying, helpless royal, but the fact that he was funny and nice definitely makes him my favorite princely character.
Iko was perhaps my favorite character...after Cinder and Prince Kai. She was at times creepy with her stalkerish attitude towards Prince Kai, but also funny in the way that she spoke about him.
Even though I could not stand Audrey, Cinder's stepmom/guardian, and wanted to knock her upside the head on numerous occasions, I liked that Ms. Meyer made her such an unlikeable character. Why, because the cold, cruel way that she treated Cinder made her into one excellent antagonist made me want Cinder to achieve her goal of freedom all the more.

So, favorite part of Cinder. Now that would have to be the totally unique and brilliantly done retelling of Cinderella. I thought that Ms. Meyer did such a fantastic job and I absolutely loved her writing, the world, plot, story line, and the characters in her debut book. I guess y'all can tell that I was just swept away by the entire book.

The only thing that I did not like about Cinder is that the sequel, Scarlet, will not come out till next year. Seriously, I finished listening to this one and immediately thought I need to know what is going to happen in book two...now.
Narration
When I was just starting Cinder I was not all that sold on the narration, yet as the story progressed I became absolutely hooked not only on the fabulous story that Ms. Meyer had written but also with the way that Ms. Soler narrated.

This is most likely a first for me on an audiobook where I did not mind the female reader's voicing of a male character. Usually I find that I cannot stand the laughable attempts of a reader trying to portray a character of the opposite sex because they just...miss the mark. But in the case of Ms. Soler,
I think she did an excellent job reading Kai's lines because she did not go over the top, but gave him more of a natural sound.

In short, Cinder either as a book or audiobook is made of win and one that you must! I liked it because Ms. Meyer's incredible writing, characters, and world paired up with the fantastic narration of Ms. Soler will have you hooked.

Final Verdict: What are you waiting for! Go and read Cinder, now!

Cinder earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. I agree with all your thoughts on Cinder- I also found the main plot with its twists to be fairly predictable but that didn't make the book any less exciting!

    I've actually been meaning to buy this one on audio for a while now... and the only reason I haven't is because I didn't like the narrator in the sample, so I'm really happy that I saw your review and that you liked the audio overall! Now I can definitely buy it and feel confident about listening to it for a re-read :)

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts