In My Mailbox (66)

In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Sadly the only books I order are those that are hard to find. The following books are from the library and bookstores.

Contests:
Reckless (Reckless, 1) by Cornelia Funke, 2010.
Beyond the mirror, the darkest fairy tales come alive. . . .

For years, Jacob Reckless has enjoyed the Mirrorworld’s secrets and treasures.
Not anymore. His younger brother has followed him. Now dark magic will turn the boy to beast, break the heart of the girl he loves, and destroy everything Jacob holds most dear. . . .
Unless he can find a way to stop it.
A huge thanks goes out to Jennifer of Extreme Reader Book Reviews for Reckless.

I very nearly jumped for joy, when I found out that I had won Reckless (loved The Thief Lord). I'm so excited about this book and cannot wait to read it.

Blood Prophecy *signed* by Stefan Petrucha, 2010.
Man and monster are in his blood. . .

His name is Jeremiah Fall. A soldier of fortune, he has been fighting his own war for 150 years--ever since the beast in him was born.

Desperate to restore his lost humanity, Fall crosses the sands of Egypt, discovers a lost city off the coast of France, and finally arrives at the birthplace of all mankind. Shunning daylight and feeding only when he must, he battles the monster who transformed him forever. He can share his deepest secret with no one . . . not even the beautiful woman he starts to love, the only human who grasps the mysteries of an ebony stone as old as creation itself.

Across the world, across time, Fall seeks the stone's secret. But has he found a cure for himself or unleashed a final curse on all mankind? 
I huge thanks goes out to Angela of Dark Faerie Tales for Blood Prophecy.
It sounds like a really interesting story, and quite different from my usual reads. Can't wait to read it.
 
Speak *signed* by Laurie Halse Anderson, 1999.

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute.
A huge thans goes out to Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books for Speak.

As hard to believe as this might sounds, I have actually never read Speak. Sure I've seen it at the library and in store, but it just never really crossed my mind to read or to even see what it was about. Although most of my friends have read and said it was good. So now that I own a copy I'll be reading it...next year. Since I'm participating in YA of the 80s and 90s, I decided to wait and read it when the challenge starts.

Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, 2) by Tamora Pierce, 2009.
Beka Cooper, the first-person protagonist of Terrier, finally becomes a full-fledged Dog. (For those of you who missed that trilogy starter, "Dogs" are the guards who serve under Lord Provost to keep the peace in Tortall.) In her first important assignment, she must sniff out the culprits in an international counterfeit money scheme. A rookie cop who will win the empathy of any perceptive teenager; the linchpin volume of an exciting fantasy series.
Thanks goes out to the people of Random Buzzers. I won Bloodhound through their Twitter giveaway.

No library books, I know y'all are thinking is something wrong, has she been banned from the library. Well rest assured there has been no such problem as that, my library had been changing out their system and they weren't checking out, checking in, or taking fines for a few days. Which has made me sad, I miss the library.
 :(
Hope y'all had a fantastic week in books.

News:
My computer is DEAD! There is no hope for it, so I will be using my dads and trying to rebuild the reviews that were lost. Luckily, most of my files are backed up on an external hard drive, but alas, some things were truly lost.
Now for some happy news. Tune in Monday the 22nd, for an interview with a fabulous author and a giveaway.

Orchid

Comments

  1. Oh you've got Reckless by Cornelia Funke. I really liked the Inkheart series, which was lovely and beautifully written. Hope you enjoy all your new books!
    Here is my Mailbox

    And don't forget to check out my giveaway, ending on Nov 30th and open internationally, here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice selection of books and have got to read Speak soon.

    Enjoy :)
    http://aisleb.tumblr.com/post/1633596756/in-my-mailbox-mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books this week! I hope you love Speak! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts