All About Middle Grade Review: Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln?


Where are You Going, Baby Lincoln? (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, 3) by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by Chris Van Dusen, August 2, 2016. 112 pages. Published by Candlewick Press. Source: ARC from publisher.
Baby Lincoln’s older sister, Eugenia, is very fond of telling Baby what to do, and Baby usually responds by saying "Yes, Sister." But one day Baby has had enough. She decides to depart on a Necessary Journey, even though she has never gone anywhere without Eugenia telling her what to take and where to go. And in fact Baby doesn’t know where she is headed — only that she was entirely happy in the previous night’s dream, sitting aboard a train with a view of shooting stars. Who might Baby meet as she strikes out on her own, and what could she discover about herself? Will her impulsive adventure take her away from Eugenia for good?
First Sentence:
Baby Lincoln was dreaming.


I don't know what exactly I was expecting from Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln? but it was not what I read. In no way am I saying this is a bad book, just that I was expecting something entirely different from what was contained within the pages.

  • Well, for one thing...I thought the book was about a kid, not the older lady featured on the cover of the book. I know, now it's obvious who the book's about, I just missed that and it through me for a loop. while I was surprised that this children's/lower middle grade book was not, in fact, about a young child, it was an entertaining read.
  • Moving on. Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln? ended up being an entertaining read because it was fascinating to watch Baby Lincoln, who's real name I cannot recall, begin to live her life according to her dreams rather than blindly following her sister. Though, while her journey itself was interesting, and much needed, I liked that both she and Eugenia were changed, somewhat, by what happened. 
  • Truthfully, there were times that I left me wondering how on earth things got that far-like Eugenia getting away with calling her sister, for many years, Baby Lincoln. I know, weird thing to be hung up on, but... It was just odd, you know. Yet, I really enjoyed this book because as "Baby Lincoln" began to step out you really got a chance to know her as a character and see what she wanted-right along as she learned it herself. I'm dubbing this book "The Late Coming of Age" book. It was interesting because everyone is always learning and changing as they grow older. Different stages in life bring different aspects of our lives to light; life changes, we change. So, I guess you could say this was interesting book because it does showcase that "finding" oneself can happen at any point...most of the time though it's a progression that happens again and again though.
Final Verdict: Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln?- A simple book that has more on the inside if one is willing to look deeper. 

Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln? earns

A advanced copy of this book was received in consideration for review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts