All About Middle Grade Review: Some Kind of Happiness


Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand, May 17, 2016. 374 pages. Published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers. Source: Borrowed from Library.
THINGS FINLEY HART DOESN’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT

• Her parents, who are having problems. (But they pretend like they’re not.)
• Being sent to her grandparents’ house for the summer.
• Never having met said grandparents.
• Her blue days—when life feels overwhelming, and it’s hard to keep her head up. (This happens a lot.)

Finley’s only retreat is the Everwood, a forest kingdom that exists in the pages of her notebook. Until she discovers the endless woods behind her grandparents’ house and realizes the Everwood is real--and holds more mysteries than she'd ever imagined, including a family of pirates that she isn’t allowed to talk to, trees covered in ash, and a strange old wizard living in a house made of bones.

With the help of her cousins, Finley sets out on a mission to save the dying Everwood and uncover its secrets. But as the mysteries pile up and the frightening sadness inside her grows, Finley realizes that if she wants to save the Everwood, she’ll first have to save herself.
First Sentence:
Once there was a great, sprawling forest called the Everwood.



When  I first heard about Claire Legrand's Some Kind of Happiness I decided to bypass reading the synopsis as I wanted to experience the book without knowing anything about it. Knowing that it was by her was reason enough for me to need to read her newest release; her books have been impressing me since her debut. That being said, this may be her best book yet.

  • Nearly a month after I first read Some Kind of Happiness, I am still struggling to find the words to discuss the beautiful, incredible, and at times heart wrenching-ness that is this book. On many levels I believe that this book is important for all to read as Claire Legrand brilliantly weaves hints of magic with the, at times, crushing feeling that threatens to engulf Finley. I'll be honest here, there were times that I nearly cried while reading this book because I so wanted to give Finley a hug; then there were the times that I wanted to make the entire Hart sit down and talk about all the tough things they were avoiding.
  •  Finley was such a wonderful character! I just loved her even though she made my heart ache for all she was going through. As much as I loved Finley, it was Claire Legrand's ability to bring her story to life that really made everything work. She balanced everything so well that it was like I was feeling everything Finley felt.
  • I feel that I cannot say it enough in this review, but, oh my gosh the writing!! The writing just swept me right away right into the drama of the Hart family. There are no adequate words to convey just how beautiful the writing of this book is. NONE!!
  • On a more personal note: As Some Kind of Happiness does deal with Finley's, unknown as yet to her, depression and anxiety. I thought it was really quite well done; though as I have no personal experience with depression or anxiety, I could be mistaken. All I can say is that it has helped me to understand somewhat better what those who suffer from depression and anxiety go through. On that note, I am sending y'all who face that battle lots of love and support.

  • I am officially out of inadequate words for discussing Some Kind of Happiness. You should really must read this incredibly powerful and beautifully written story! You will not regret meeting Finley and hearing about the Everwood and the entire Hart clan. 

Final Verdict: Some Kind of Happiness- This book is everything!!

Some Kind of Happiness earns

A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts