A Vintage Reads Review: Cinder


Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, 1) by Marissa Meyer, January 3, 2012. 390 pages. Published by  Feiwel & Friends. Source: book trade/own.
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
First Sentence:
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.




With the Lunar Chronicles (you should check out the #TLCreadalong and join in) coming to a close this year, I thought it would be the perfect time to finally read Cinder and work towards catching up on the rest of the series prior to the release of Winter. Even though this is technically my "first" time reading Cinder, I did listen to the audiobook back when it first released.

Even though I really enjoyed the audiobook for Cinder, I have been putting off reading it because I was worried that it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable the second time around. With three years in-between I really did fear that it would be a disappointment (and I love rereading, so...). In the end, I ended up loving it because there were things that I failed to notice from the audio.

One of the things I found myself enjoying most about Cinder would have to be the setting. I loved seeing, okay maybe more like imagining, the way Marissa Meyer described New Beijing. I really enjoyed how vivid the descriptions of the setting were. She did such a great job not only with the setting but also with how the characters perceived the setting in which they lived. I may have also found myself relishing the conflict caused by the Lunars...especially when certain things were revealed.

As a retelling of Cinderella, I must say that I liked the changes the story took and how the author made it her own. I would have never guessed that someone would one day make retell Cinderella with a sci-fi twist and cyborgs and crazy Lunars. When you think of it like that, it is really surprising that it worked out so well. I think it was the boldness of the story that really makes it worth picking up because it is such an original take on the classic story. I guess you could say that I enjoyed both the overall plot and writing.


*I promise, I am so close to wrapping this up*

Oh wait, I think I'm done because I AM OUT OF WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!

Final Verdict: Cinder- Personally, I really enjoyed the sci-fi twist on Cinderella and how well it was done!

Cinder earns

I received this book through a trade and thus decided to review it because I wanted to. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

  1. #TLCReadalong for the win! I'm so glad you liked this book! I understand the hesitation when it comes to rereading. I felt the same way before starting, but even though I'm only 6 chapters in, I'm loving it just as much as the first time. I do agree that the boldness of it really draws you in. The book definitely keeps close to the major parts of the classic story but definitely adds its own unique flair that really draws you in. Have you read the other books before or only Cinder?

    All the best,
    Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts