A Vintage Reads Review: Blood Red Road


Long time no "Vintage Reads", yes. After entirely too long of not revisiting "vintage" young adult titles, I finally was able to read one and thought I'd share my thoughts on it with you, dear readers.

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, 1) by Moira Young, June 7, 2011. 459 pages. Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books. Source: Bought.
Saba lives in Silverlake, a wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms where her family scavenge from landfills left by the long-gone Wrecker civilization. After four cloaked horsemen kidnap her beloved twin brother Lugh, she teams up with daredevil Jack and the Free Hawks, a girl gang of Revolutionaries.

Saba learns that she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Saba and her new friends stage a showdown that change the course of her civilization.
First Sentence:
The day's hot.


A few years ago, I had the opportunity to listen to Blood Red Road on audio and completely fell in love with the characters, writing and overall story. Let's just say that it was one of those books that just grabbed me from the very beginning. Thanks to the "Make Me Read" readathon I was given the perfect excuse to finally read the book and fall in love with it all over again.

Even after four years Blood Red Road still leaves me all flail-y because it is perhaps one of the best dystopian type books I have ever read. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still couldn't help get all emotional as certain scenes played out (especially the sad ones). While I still haven't read the rest of the Dust Lands books, I am working on changing that because rereading it has reawakened my need to know what happens to Saba and the rest of the cast!

Flailing aside, let's talk about why BRR is such an incredible read!!

Usually I save my thoughts on the writing till the end, but, Moira Young's writing insists that I talk about it first. It isn't often enough that my attention is caught by the first words/pages of a book. And yet, that is exactly what happened the two times I have consumed this book. I am just agog over the writing because it was so rich and Saba's voice just flew off the page almost like she was in the room telling the story of what happened to her and her family.

It would probably bore y'all, but I could honestly talk about Moira Young's writing in Blood Red Road because everything from the characters (including the way Saba spoke) to the setting and the plot building was, in a word: perfection!!! Even so, I shall try to move onto talking about the rest of the book...
   I am literally finding it impossible to put into words why the plot was so good!! I just really liked how well it transitioned from one point to the next. It just flowed really well and I liked seeing how the big picture came together at the end. .

Character-wise: I thought the deepening of the relationship between Saba and Emmy was definitely one of the highlights of the book. Actually, Saba opening up to and letting others in was, well, it was so well done. The play between characters was really beautiful to watch unfold. It is also something that I am failing to find proper words to discuss. You really just need to read it for yourself to understand why I love the characters and their story!!!!!!

Final Verdict: Blood Red Road- Brilliantly done and still incredible years after its release!! Probably one of the best dystopian/post-apocalyptic books you'll find!!

Blood Red Road earns


This book was purchased for my reading pleasure. All thoughts are my own and shared because I felt like it. 

Comments

Popular Posts