On My Mind (1): Why I Don't

*note* First off, I hope no one else is currently using "On My Mind" as a discussion post title. If they (or you are), please, let me know and I'll find a new name.

As one can probably presume from the header of this post, I have decided to start doing discussion posts here on The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia. Call it me trying to let y'all inside my head and to start a dialog with you my fellow readers.







Why I Don't...Read Ebooks

While ebooks were not all that big when I started The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia over six years ago, I have noticed that they seem to be "the thing" now. After repeatedly getting requests that I review ebooks here on the blog, I thought it was high-time that I told y'all why I will NOT be reviewing ebooks ever.



My reasoning-

Personally, I'm not a fan of reading on a screen. After more than half an hour of reading blog posts and going through emails I'm left feeling like my eyes are sun-burnt. You know, like, when you take a book to the beach and the sun just glares all day off the page leaving your eyes unhappy, just like that. So, because it makes my precious reading eyes unhappy, I will be refraining from digital books.

Other than the discomfort is causes me, my final angst against digitally formatted books is this. I am not going to pay for an ereader and then turn around and have to buy things to read on it. That is just not feasible nor do I get the pleasure of holding an actual book in my hand and turning the pages. When it comes to reading I am old-school. I love the feel of a book in my hand, turning the pages, and the thrill of finding a long-sought after book at the used bookstore and library sales. My love of holding a physical copy of a book in my hand far surpasses my love of technology. 

So, every time a decent book is only available digitally, my heart breaks just the tiniest bit at the book that I will not be reading. Yet, for my personal comfort, I will be running far away from ebooks (like this gif from Spirited Away).



It's nothing personal against you, dear indie authors, whose books are only available in a digital format. I just don't read digitally and never plan to. 
   
Alright, dear readers, what are your thoughts on ebooks? Do you love them? Hate them? Or are you more neutral on the subject? 

Comments

  1. I've come to appreciate my e-reader. It doesn't bother my eyes but it does hurt my thumb from pressing to go to the next page lol

    I go back and forth between them. I still prefer to hold a real book but I also like not having so many physical books to store (or get rid of) and ebooks are good for novellas.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I may not like ebooks, I am glad that you, and others, have found enjoyment from them.

      Thanks so much for stopping by, Karen. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts