YA Review: Better Off Friends

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg, February 25, 2014. 276 pages. Published by Point. Source: Library.
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can't be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan's friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they're best friends -- which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep getting in each other's way. Guys won't ask Macallan out because they think she's with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can't help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?
First Sentence:
I was probably the first kid ever excited for summer to be over.



Ah, here I am again branching out from my usual foray into fantasy land to read a contemporary novel. You know what, it was such an enjoyable read that I may, should the opportunity present itself, even be willing to read more of Elizabeth Eulberg's writing because I enjoyed this one that much.

Again, I have Twitter to thank for suggesting that I give Better Off Friends a shot. So, while I had never considered reading this one, nor had it been on my radar, I decided to go with Heidi's latest recommendation because her last one was just what I needed. Best decision! That being said, I guess I should start on why this book ended up being such a great read.

Better Off Friends was one book that I was not expecting to love. Yet, from the first little between chapter conversation between Macallan and Levi I was hooked. I just really enjoyed reading about their friendship and how their ups and downs as friends. But what made their friendship all the more interesting to read about, especially how the book is about whether or not they are/can be more than friends, Whether friends or more, I really enjoyed the way Elizabeth Eulberg depicted the relationship between the two characters and how well balanced the entire story was. Seriously, I have not been this happy over a mixed gender friendship book in like...EVER!!!

Other than the well crated friendship (or possibly more) between the characters, it was the humor and Ms. Eulberg's writing that really sold me on Better Off Friends. At first, I had only planned on reading the first page or two (just to sample the writing, you know) but once I started there was no stopping. For the most part, I was struck with a bubbly, happy feeling as I read this book. You know, the kind were you're grinning like mad and laughing over the characters' antics. Then, then it would nose-dive as Macallan and Levi went through tough times and you couldn't help but hope that things would go back to normal between them. My feelings were just all over the place with this one and I regret nothing about reading it.

Even though I feel I could continue on with my thoughts on Better Off Friends, I'm going to end it here before I go spoiling the final outcome of the book for those who have yet to read it. Just know this, Elizabeth Eulberg's latest book is probably going down as my favorite contemporary young adult read of the year (2014).

Final Verdict: Better Off Friends- Outrageously funny and one of the best books I've read with a boy/girl friendship. Definitely loved this one to pieces.

Better Off Friends earns

Comments

  1. I've seen this book around a lot but have been waiting for someone to review it. It sounds really good and like something I would enjoy.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts