YA Review: Dark Triumph

Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, 2) by Robin LaFevers, April 2, 2013. 385 pages. Published by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children. Source: library.
The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her home to the life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of death himself, he must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?
First Sentence:
I did not arrive at the convent of Saint Mortain some green stripling.


I'm not even sure where to begin on this one as Dark Triumph was such a great read, so, this review will probably be me rambling on.

I really did not think Dark Triumph could surpass Grave Mercy, but I was proved wrong because I could not tear my eyes from Sybella's story. If there was one character that deserved better, it would be her and I'm glad to have gotten to read more about her story.
   After her introduction in Grave Mercy I was left with many, many questions in regards to Sybella's back-story, as well, as many theories as to why she was chosen for the role the convent set forth for her. While I wasn't entirely surprised by the revelations of her history, as I had pretty much guessed already, it was nice to see her story given the attention it needed.

I don't know what made me more happy, the survival of a character that was presumed dead in the first book or how their survival played into Sybella's story in the book. I'm going to go with both because that character is my favorite and because I liked the angle it added to her character development.
   Even though I really enjoyed Grave Mercy and reading about Ismae, it was Sybella's story that really hooked me. While they both had not too great circumstances from which they came, I enjoyed (which seems weird to say considering all she's been through) seeing Sybella's story and knowing that, she, now sees that she is not fettered by her past as much as she first thought. Oddly enough, I found her, even when she seemed the most lost, to be quite a strong character because as much as her past tried to break her it failed. As a reader, I enjoyed her story because I wanted to see her embrace life again.

That was a close one! I thought there was a chance, albeit a slim one, that a certain character was not really dead. You know, no body, no proof on characters deaths means there's always the chance they didn't die. So, I was so excited to see that character prove to be as hard to kill as they boast. NO, I AM NOT TELLING YOU WHO LIVES! Just know that it made me extremely happy because they're my favorite character in the series thus far.

So happy feelings over the survival of a character and the interesting story of the main character aside, I really enjoyed the writing. There is really no way that I can do Ms. LaFevers' writing justice in this review, but, I am going to do my best.
    Okay, so, two of the things that has really impressed me with this series is the world building and the intersecting plot-lines. I am one of those readers who enjoys unraveling the little strings of plot as the story unfolds; so, the many layers to the plot and world, and how everything's connected, has been quite interesting to follow. There are all these little things about the plot I want to talk about, yet, I can find no way to get my thoughts out without spoiling the entire book for those who haven't read it. I guess I'll just keep my theories to myself and see how things unfold in the final installment.

Final Verdict: Dark Triumph- Riveting and well written. Definitely surprised that I enjoyed it more than the first volume.

Dark Triumph earns

Comments

Popular Posts