A Vintage Reads review: Dealing with Dragons

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forests Chronicles, 1) by Patricia C. Wrede, 2002. 212 pages. Published by Sandpiper Books. Source: Bought.
Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart. . . .
And bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon . . . and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for.
First Sentence:
Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. 
Since I really enjoyed the two other Patricia C. Wrede books I’ve read, Sorcery & Cecelia and The Grand Tour, I decided to go out on a limb and buy Dealing with Dragons when I saw it at the library sale. I am definitely glad that I gave this one a chance because I loved the world that she created and because Princess Cimorene was such a strong and hilarious character.

I'm sure y'all have noticed that some of my favorite fantasy books happen to feature dragons, so, it should really come as no surprise to long-time readers of my blog to hear that I loved Dealing with Dragons.

Dealing with Dragons, what really makes this an interesting read is that it is not your typical princess fantasy read and because Cimorene is anything but typical. I loved that fact that Cimorene was different from all other princess and interested in more then being quiet and looking pretty. While I loved that about her, what I really made her such an interesting character to read about was that she was a capable character who didn't need a guy to fulfill her life.

So, now that y'all know my thoughts on Cimorene, let's talk about the plot. While there was definitely some intrigue and plot twisty goodness in this book, I would consider this to be a light read. Why, simply because the author's writing and Cimorene herself makes this a more humorous read and less of an action-packed thriller. While it came across as light, I enjoyed the spin on dragons that the author used and that they were more than just the villains of the book.

The one thing I loved the most about Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing with Dragons would have to be her writing. Again, I found myself simply enjoying the world, characters, and storyline that the author created, which is crucial for me when it comes to fantasy books. It also doesn't hurt that the storyline was pretty unique sine I'm pretty sure there are no other fantasy books where a princess offers to live and work with a dragon.

The only thing I did not like about Dealing with Dragons would have to be that the other princesses and the princes mentioned in the book were definitely your stereotypical prototypes. While it was funny to see the vast contrast between Cimorene and them, it would have been interesting if two of the three other princesses had had just a little more individuality. Other than this one annoyance, there is not much to complain about in this highly entertaining read.

Final Verdict: Dealing with Dragons, a fun and witty fantasy read.

Dealing with Dragons earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.


Comments

Popular Posts