Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince

Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince (Aunt Dimity, 18) by Nancy Atherton, April 18, 2013. 256 pages. Published by Viking. Source: Publisher.
When a finely wrought silver sleigh figurine turns up in her thrift shop, Lori Shepherd recognizes it instantly.  It was the object that mesmerized the sweet but very poor nine-year-old Daisy Pickering at Sproggton Manor, the bizarre Jacobean house-turned-museum Lori recently visited with her twin sons.
Hoping to avoid any real commotion, Lori decides to speak with the museum curator, who turns out to be oddly uninterested in the theft. But there’s not much that could be done anyway for the Pickerings seem to have come into some money and moved to Australia.
With Aunt Dimity’s otherworldly guidance, Lori’s search for the sleigh’s true owner leads her to a tangled web of secrets stretching from the finest English country estates back to the blood-drenched soil of the Russian Revolution.
First Sentence:
I’ve heard it said that when the poet T.S. Eliot was writing The Wasteland, he chose February as the cruelest month, then changed it to April in revisions. 
Having only read a couple volumes in Nancy Atherton’s Aunt Dimity series, I thankfully, did not feel like I had missed anything crucial to the series, which meant that I was able to fully enjoy the entertaining mystery that Ms. Atherton had written.

One of the things that made Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince such an enjoyable read for me was that it was a fun read. I really enjoyed that I was able to just sit back and watch the plot unfold at the pace set by the story. While the mystery behind the lost prince was not too complex, I still enjoyed reading this one because the author did an excellent job with the characters and capturing the setting of a small English village (or whatever it was).

While the beginning of the book was a little on the slow side, I liked the way the plot slowly came together and how solving the mystery of the little girl’s story of the lost prince became irresistible for Lori and Bree. I liked that both Lori and her friend Bree had different reasons for wanting to see the case through to the end, as well, as that as the mystery progressed you got to see why solving it was so important to them.

Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince was definitely an interesting read for me, partly because it has been some time since I have read a decent mystery that was not for a YA or MG audience. One of the things I enjoyed the most about the latest Aunt Dimity book was that it was a clean read and I never once had to worry about the content within. It was in short, refreshing…for an adult read.

Even though I enjoyed the latest Aunt Dimity book, I do admit that there was just one thing that irritated me about the book. The one thing I did not like about the book would have to be the repetitiveness that occurred every time that Lori finished ‘talking’ to Dimity. It was just weird to think that every time she spoke to her that she would do the same thing every single time-watch the script fade and then stare at her old doll resting in a niche. I know people are creatures of habit, but I think that it was taken just a little too far because it was pretty much word for word from the closing of one conversation with Dimity to the next.

Final verdict: Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince is the perfect mystery read to relax and kick your feet up with.




Comments

  1. This sounds like a fun mystery book. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts