Spinning Pages (11): Shattered Warrior/The Change


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 


Due to time constraints, I was unable to put together posts for Spinning Pages the last two, or is three, weeks. That and sometimes, well, sometimes you just don't find that perfect song to sum up your feelings on a book!!

Well, after a couple weeks hiatus I have finally been able to pair another book and song. This time though, it'll be a little different as the book is, wait for it, a graphic novel. More specifically, Shattered Warrior by Sharon Shinn (and illustrated by Molly Knox Ostertag). As I was writing my review for it, the perfect song popped into my head; The Change by Garth Brooks. Keep reading to see why.


The Change performed by Garth Brooks. Written by R. Wayne Tester, Anthony M. Arata
One hand
Reaches out
And pulls a lost soul from harm
While a thousand more go unspoken for
They say what good have you done
By saving just this one
It's like whispering a prayer
In the fury of a storm

And I hear them saying you'll never change things
And no matter what you do it's still the same thing
But it's not the world that I am changing
I do this so this world will know
That it will not change me

This heart
Still believes
The love and mercy still exist
While all the hatred rage and so many say
That love is all but pointless in madness such as this
It's like trying to stop a fire
With the moisture from a kiss 

Okay, so here we go! The first set of lyrics reminds me of the beginning of the book where Colleen is still just going through the motions of living. Pretty much she's giving up...until two people come into her life and she finds something worth living/fighting for. Seriously though! So many of the lyrics just fit this song so, so well that I could go on-and-on. Chiefly though, it fits Colleen's emotional story arc and how the people were fighting to free their world from the invaders.

You can see my full thoughts on Shattered Warrior, which you definitely want to read, hop on over to see my review!

If you have never heard Garth Brooks' The Change, then you really must listen to it! I wish I could have found the video or audio of the song to share, but no luck. If you get the chance, do listen to it!!!

Comments

Popular Posts