YA Review: The Orphan Queen

The Orphan Queen (Orphan Queen, 1) by Jodi Meadows, March 10, 2015. 391 pages. Published by Katherine Tegen Books. Source: borrowed from library/now own.
Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.

She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.

She is a threat. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others.
First Sentence:
The mirrors were an expensive superstition.


I want to send  HUGE thank you out to Kelly @ Live, Love, Read since I won a signed copy from here not too long ago!! Thank you SO MUCH!!

Earlier this year, I had the chance to read my first Jodi Meadow's book from my locale library. Since I highly enjoyed it, it made its way straight on to my "Must Acquire One Way or Another" list...it's actually one that I found myself upping it's rating the longer I've thought on it as I tried to put words together for this review (usually I flip the other way). Hence why I am only just now trying to review it.

I guess the first thing to be addressed is why The Orphan Queen has gone up in rating (in my mind) since I finished it months and months ago. I believe the reasons is that the world and characters just keep sneaking their way back into my brain. And that is pretty awesome.

I believe the thing that intrigues me the most when it comes to The Orphan Queen would have to be the wraiths and the toxic-ness caused by magic use. I'm really curious to learn more about that since it was different. So, I shall await more answers in the next installment.

Just from the write up I knew that Wilhelmina was going to be a character that I would like. What I didn't realize was that I was that she would make her way into the ranks of characters I love. Her strength and determination were what really made me like her. It doesn't hurt that she fierce and had a story that just pulled me in.

Even though I found myself really enjoying The Orphan Queen, there was perhaps one thing that kept me from absolutely loving it when I first read it. I know I say this a lot, but, it was extremely easy for me to unravel the plot. Especially when it came to certain character arcs and their reveals. There were definitely some twists that I saw coming from pretty early on (maybe first 75 pages or so), but it was still quite interesting to watch them play out when the time came. No, I will not tell you what I saw coming; you'll just have to read the book for yourself to see what happens.

Having never read Jodi Meadow's writing before, I found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the world she created and the way the characters came alive. Seriously, I thought her writing was really good. I was surprised that I liked this book, not because I'm not into fantasy (it's probably my favorite genre to read), but because it had been so hyped and so many people were crazy of her writing. I have a history of not being impressed by hyped books/authors, so, it was definitely nice to understand why so many people are raving about The Orphan Queen.

I was actually so impressed with Jodi Meadow's writing that I'm considering picking up her debut book Incarnate just because I want more of her writing while I wait for the continuation of The Orphan Queen to be released. This is big because when her other book came out and didn't really call to me.

Final Verdict: The Orphan Queen- This book just gets in your head and will not leave! And I mean that in the best sense!! It definitely is worth the hype surrounding it!

The Orphan Queen earns
So, this book I checked it out from the library...and then I won a copy. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts