All About Middle Grade Review: Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy


Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee, January 28, 2014.233 pages. Published by Alfred A. Knopf. Source: publisher.
Unlikely heroine Ophelia Jane Worthington-Whittard doesn't believe in anything that can't be proven by science. She and her sister Alice are still grieving for their dead mother when their father takes a job in a strange museum in a city where it always snows. On her very first day in the museum Ophelia discovers a boy locked away in a long forgotten room. He is a prisoner of Her Majesty the Snow Queen. And he has been waiting for Ophelia's help.

As Ophelia embarks on an incredible journey to rescue the boy everything that she believes will be tested. Along the way she learns more and more about the boy's own remarkable journey to reach her and save the world.

A story within a story, this a modern day fairytale is about the power of friendship, courage and love, and never ever giving up.
First Sentence:
In the end the Queen was nothing like she was in the stories the Marvelous Boy had been told, first as a child beside the hearth and later by the wizards.


Over a year later, here I sit finally ready to compose my thoughts on Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee. Contrary to what one may think, I actually really loved this book....it's just that I never quite got around to writing a review for it till now.

Even though this sounded like an incredible book the first time I heard about it, it was not until I read the opening line that I knew I was going to love it. Something about that first sentence just set the tone for the book and captured my attention. I really liked how in that short instant the writing and story opened up with the promise of being impossible to put down.

One of the reasons I found myself so drawn to this book was Ophelia herself. I just really enjoyed reading about her and watching her put her fear aside to do what she could to make things right. It was so well done, that of her stepping forward to rescue her father and to try and save those ensnared by the Snow Queen.

Even a year later, I still really love so much about this book. Yet, it was the various layers to the story and the characters that still lingers strongly in my memory. When you get down to the bear bones of the story, this book has all the qualities of a story that could, perhaps, become a long-time favorite for readers. The style of the writing and overall story just reminded me of some of my favorite books; one's I enjoy rereading time and again, so, take that as you will.

You know those books where the atmosphere of the world just pulls you in, well, that is totally what happened when I was reading Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy. The world and story that Karen Foxlee created was just so good that I found myself unable to walkaway mid-book. Cannot tell you how excited I was to be so absorbed into the world, writing, and characters!!!

I guess you cold say that I highly enjoyed my first taste of Karen Foxlee's writing. I thought she did a wonderful job with the entire book. You know I enjoyed a book when even over a year later I'm still thinking about it and craving a chance to read it yet again.

Final Verdict: Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy- If you're looking for the perfect middle grade book to get you through the cold winter days, then look no further. This book is so good and y'all just need to read it if you haven't already!!

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy earns
An ARC of this book was received in consideration for review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts