A Vintage Reads Review: Assassin


Assassin (Lady Grace Mysteries, 1) by Patricia Finney, September 28, 2004. 208 pages. Published by Delacorte Books for Young Readers. Source: Library.
WHEN MARGARET CAVENDISH, one of Elizabeth I’s Gentlewomen of the Bedchamber, lost her life in a bungled attempt to kill the Queen, her daughter, Lady Grace, became a protégée to the monarch, who takes Grace under her wing. Now Grace, a spunky girl who romps through the gardens with the laundry maids and court tumblers and rolls her eyes at her fellow
ladies, chronicles the court intrigues that swirl around her. . . .

It’s the spring of 1569 and 13-year-old Lady Grace, the youngest lady-in-waiting to the Queen, finds herself at a glittering ball choosing amongst three suitors. But the Queen’s generosity turns deadly as threats, dark secrets, and even murder descend on the Tudor court. And it is up to Grace to use her intelligence, stealth, and curious nature to solve the mystery that threatens the very lifeblood of England.
First Sentence:
I am supposed to use this book to write all my prayers and meditations in. 


Alright, so, I happened upon Assassin by Patricia Finney one night as I was browsing my libraries online catalog; thought it sounded interesting and worth checking out (even though I have tons of books at home for the reading). I definitely found this to be an enjoyable, if incredibly short, read and glad to have discovered it.

Admittedly, I haven't read much in the way of books set in 1500s during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I; or at least not too many that I recall. So, I was pretty enchanted by the setting and way the author captured the time period.
   While maybe not the best laid mystery, the writing and characters more than make up. One of the reasons I enjoyed the writing was because it was written in the vein of Grace's personal daybooke (journal/diary), which gave the story a more personal feel as you saw and experienced things straight from Grace's perspective. It was an interesting and well written making the story all the more interesting for it. I would definitely recommend this one simply because it is fun and easy to get pulled into.

So, what did I enjoy most about Patricia Finney's first installment in the Lady Grace Mysteries, well, my friends that would be the writing. I thought she did an excellent job creating a heroine that was both fun and daring; I also enjoyed watching Grace bend the rules to save an innocent man from the threat of the gallows, as well, how she dealt with her new-found knowledge of those who sought her hand.
   Seriously, she was one character that I immensely enjoyed reading about, so, I am glad to have had the chance to discover this book and authors writing.

The only thing that was disappointing in regards to Assassin would have to be that I figured the mystery aspect of the book out really, really quickly. Pretty much, by the time I was forty pages in I had figured out who did and the motives behind everyone's actions. While the mystery may not be veiled all that well, I really enjoyed this one for the writing and because Grace was an interesting character to read about.
     So, in short, while the mystery of who killed one of Grace's suitors is not too hard to discern, Assassin is a charming read that will draw you in.

Final Verdict: Assassin- A delightful heroine and charming story make this a fun read.

Assassin earns 4 out of 5 griffins

Comments

Popular Posts