Game Time: Ancestree

It wasn't until we branched out in board games that I came to enjoy them.




For the longest time, we had been playing the usual round-up of board games- Clue and Life etc. So, it came as no surprise that after a few plays, it just wasn't fun anymore. Let's face it, they don't have a high re-playability; especially when certain parties can solve the whodunit mystery of Clue in maybe four rounds.
I would highly advise against playing a round of Clue with my sisters and me; it's brutal and we all have our methods for keeping track of what cards we suspect the others are shielding...but that's another story for another day.

Between birthdays and Christmas, we have acquired a good number of new games this past year, and today I want to talk about one of the games I received (I knew it was going to be one I liked from the moment I first read the write up).

Ancestree is a tile-laying game where players build their family ancestry in a race to build the most interesting and balanced family tree where dynasties and marriages can drastically change the outcome of the game.

Gameplay:

One of the things really liked about this game was how easy it was to pick up (at least once everyone was paying attention). The rules 1) made sense and 2) were not open-ended leaving the game at risk of house rules; that was one of the things that made it so easy to pick up.

It is definitely a family-friendly game. Yet, it still retains a level of play that would be attractive to players both old and young; something I'd like to see more of in board games.

Design:

I really enjoyed the design of the cards and how they were made to make it easy for players of all ages to quickly learn what would and wouldn't work when it came time to build their family tree. Yes, you still needed to be paying close attention to ensure that you didn't build yourself into a dead-end but, overall, the design makes it easily accessible to players young and old.

I really love that it has a high replayability! In our house, that is a must! Even though we have played Ancestree six or more times since Christmas, it has lost none of its appeal or competitiveness.


Pax Christi

Comments

Popular Posts