Comic Review: The Vision, vols 1: Little Worse Than a Man


The Vision, vol 1: Little Worse Than a Man by Tom King,  Gabriel Hernandez Walta (Artist), Jordie Bellaire (Colorist), Clayton Cowles (Letterer), Mike del Mundo (Cover Artist), July 12, 2016. Published by Marvel. Source: Borrowed from Library.
The Vision wants to be human, and what's more human than family? So he heads back to the beginning, to the laboratory where Ultron created him and molded him into a weapon. The place where he first rebelled against his given destiny and imagined that he could be more -that he could be a man. There, he builds them. A wife, Virginia. Two teenage twins, Viv and Vin. They look like him. They have his powers. They share his grandest ambition (or is that obsession?) the unrelenting need to be ordinary.
Behold the Visions! They’re the family next door, and they have the power to kill us all. What could possibly go wrong? Artificial hearts will be broken, bodies will not stay buried, the truth will not remain hidden, and the Vision will never be the same.


Well, this was perhaps my least favorite comic that I have read in the past six months. Admittedly, I didn't have high hopes for it because I am not a fan of theVision (even less so after reading this).


  • As I said above, I didn't have high hopes for the Vision going in. He's just not a character that I enjoy reading about and his story has never really interested me. The only reason I decided to pick a copy up from the library is that it, well, it was there and I thought maybe it would prove to be fascinating new take on his story. 


  • I will give The Vision: Little Worse Than a Man one point- it was pretty creepy the story they created here. It was more like a dystopian meets sci-fi meets horror, than your typical Marvel comic. Even so, it was not enough to make me fully embrace the madness of the road that the Vision was heading down. I'll be blunt, the story they created is creepy in more than one way. The first being that you have this machine trying to replicate the dynamics of a normal family, which is not possible no matter how hard he tries. The second being that what comes out of his meddling in things not possible, hmm reminds me so much of Tony Stark and his ego, is nothing short of insanity. 


  • You know what else this book left me feeling, a stronger sense that Iron Man is the biggest problem in the Marvel U as he seems to be the cause of 75% of their problems. But that's a conversation for another time and place. 


  • As much as I disliked the story-line, the artwork really brought things to such vivid life. I felt the artist and colorist really did an excellent job of bringing out the visual aspect of the story. Yeah, it was probably my favorite part because you could really see the madness of the entire plot popping off the pages. Even so, it was not enough to make me see the story in a more favorable light.

Final Verdict: The Vision, vol 1: Little More Than a Man- Well, I'll leave it at this: Not for me. This failed to really hook me, other than leave me horrified in a can't turn away kind of way, and this will be one that I don't plan on pursuing any further than this.
A copy of this book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts