YA Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After

Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, 3) by Stephanie Perkins, August 14, 2014. 339 pages. Published by Dutton. Source: Library.
From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.
First Sentence:
It's midnight, it's sweltering, and I might be high on vicodin, but that guy-that guy right over there-that's him.


One of the happiest moments for me when reading Isla and the Happily Ever After would have to be the appearance of Anna and Ã‰tienne as they were my favorite characters from the series. Seeing them, even for a brief time, was so right.

Stephanie Perkins has yet again completely pulled me into he writing even though it's not a genre I read all that often. While I may be more of a fantasy book type of girl, I nonetheless I have found myself enjoying her writing immensely as she does quite well on capturing the various emotions of her characters and their situations. I guess, you could say that even a hardcore fantasy reading nerd can be won over with to the 'dark-side' of contemporary romance every none and again. Really, this is me saying that you should check out her books even if it's not your usual type of read.

I bet you're wondering what is it about Isla and the Happily Ever After, or even the the other two books in the series, that drew me personally into a contemporary romance, well, the easy answer is her writing. If the writing and story is compelling enough, as her books are, I am bound to enjoy it. While I may not have always agreed with the choices the characters made, especially some of the one's Isla and Josh made during the middle of the book, I have to hand it to Ms. Perkins' as she knows how to write an entirely absorbing book. So, yeah, even though I don't really consider myself a contemporary fan, Stephanie Perkins' books are quite enjoyable and really quick reads.

Isla and the Happily Ever After, was one series ender that I was really anticipating. Mainly because I wanted to see if the characters from the previous books would make an appearance. While I did find myself enjoying this one, I was a little disappointed with Isla and Josh as a pairing. I was hoping for a different kind of romance between them. I can't exactly put my finger on why, but, there was something about their relationship, during the middle of the book, that just didn't feel right to me. In the end, I liked Isla and Josh best when they were not an "item" because it felt more natural and suited them.

Final Verdict: Isla and the Happily Ever After- Again, great writing by Stephanie Perkins; though I just wasn't sold an the relationship between the characters.

Isla and the Happily Ever After earns

Comments

Popular Posts