Prophecy of the Most Beautiful

Prophecy of the Most Beautiful (Oracle of Delphi, 1) by Diantha Jones, March 1, 2012. 393 pages. Source: CBB Book Promotions/Author.
She has a destiny so great that even the gods fear her.

Constant hallucinations and the frequent conversations with the voices in her head, have earned eighteen-year-old Chloe Clever the not-so-coveted title of "Whack Job" in her home town of Adel, Georgia. With the onslaught of prescription medications and therapists threatening to push her over the edge, she wishes for a life far away from the one she has, a life where she is destined to be more than the butt of everyone's jokes and mockery.

Be careful what you wish for has never rung more true.
First Sentence:
Chloe hated to be stared at.
Prophecy of the Beautiful while an interesting read, is another book that left me with mixed feelings after finishing it. While I really enjoyed the premise and the author's take on Greek mythology and how she brought the lore to life, I admit, that I was not too fond of the way the relationship between Chloe and her love interest was portrayed.

On a whole, I enjoyed the spin on Greek mythology that Diantha Jones used in her book, Prophecy of the Most Beautiful. I really enjoyed the slight changes that were made to some of the Greek deities and how they changes were blended in with what everyone knows about the characters, like, Apollo.  When it comes to books that are loosely based on mythological characters, it's always interesting to see how the author will make them their own by breathing new life into an old story.

Definitely the most interesting thing about Prophecy of the Beautiful would have to be the demigods and their struggle. While reading, I was just pulled into the story of Ace, Strafford, and the rest of quads story because I liked their spunk. I guess you could say I enjoyed the demigods because they had such wildly differing personalities and yet had so much in common with one another. It was fun to see the way they interacted not only with each other, but also the strife with their parent and competition with the other demigods made for some interesting, action-packed reading.

Even though I generally enjoyed Prophecy of the Most Beautiful there were a couple things that I just did not enjoy. The thing that bothered me the most while reading this book would have to be the whole insta-love thing going on between Chloe and the main male protagonist. Even though for the longest time they both tried to hide their feelings, I just did not feel like the way their feelings were portrayed. What really bothered me though was that, I feel, one cannot honest love someone that you don't even really know; and the their "feelings" for one another seemed more lust like than love.
   My final complaint with the book would have to be that sometimes too many special abilities is too much. While it was interesting to see how Chloe would deal with being the long-awaited, and feared, oracle it was a little frustrating to see her given all these big oracle powers that have only cropped up every now-and-a-again.
   Alright, so even though I had my problems with Prophecy of the Most Beautiful, I ended up really enjoying seeing the changes that the author made to some of the Greek deities and that she didn't automatically go for the most well known ones.

Final Verdict: Prophecy of the Most Beautiful- An interesting new spin on Greek mythology with characters that will make you laugh out loud at times and at other times will make your scream in frustration.

Prophecy of the Most Beautiful earns 3.75 of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. Thanks for giving this one a try! I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts