ARC Review: A Temptation of Angels

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink, March 27, 2012. 448 pages. Published by Dial Books. Source: won from author.
Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance...

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Michelle Zink masterfully weaves historical fantasy with paranormal romance to create a gripping tale of love and betrayal.
First Sentence:

Though it was latern it was not the sound of arguing that woke Helen in the dead of night.


There are no words for how much I loved Michelle Zink's latest, A Temptation of Angels. It was just brilliant and you absolutely must read it.

There are many reasons why A Temptation of Angels was so good. But the one that stands out the most in my mind would have to be the world and setting and of said world that Ms. Zink created in this book. I loved the unique take on angels that she took in her latest book, and that they were different from anything I have read thus far. The most fascinating thing about the world would have to be two opposing forces in the book, those of the light who guard the balance of the world and those of the dark who want to send the world into a downward spiral.

I liked that the romance aspect of A Temptation of Angels was not the focus of the book and that instead it was more on the characters and their battle against the wraiths trying to put an end their exsistence. While it was not the main focus of the book, it is there subtlly sneaking in at points, but not stealing spotlight. Even with the slight triangle between Helen, Griffin and Raum, I enjoyed the little romance spread throughout the book. Mainly written and did not detract from the main story.

Helen, like, Ms. Zink's other heroines, was a strongwilled and capable girl and for that I loved her. While she may have been on the stubburn side I liked that she didn't want to be beholden to anyone that she strove to follow her own path. It was definitely nice to read about a female protagonist in that time period that was independent.
The Channing brothers were one of the things I liked most in this book. But I think that Darius was the more interesting of the two. I liked him because his character was more complex then that of his brother, and that he cares about those considers to be friends then he lets on.

So, why did I love A Temptation of Angels as much as I did, well, that would have to be because Ms. Zink perfectly captured the historical setting that was Helen's world, and I really liked her take on angels and that they were not fallen angels. Yeah, lots for me to like about this one and ramble on about, so I'll stop while I'm ahead before I spoil anything for y'all.

While I absolutely adored Ms. Zink's latest, I do have just one thing I did not like about A Temptation of Angels. And that would have to be that I want/need more and I have not the slightest idea if this is a standalone because the ending left it open for more, yet again it tied things up pretty nicely.

If you've read A Temptation of Angels what did you think? If you haven't, let me know if you plan on reading it and why?

Final Verdict: Do yourself a favor and go out and get A Temptation of Angels. It is just too good to be missed.
A Temptation of Angels earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. I'm glad to hear that this one was really good! I have yet to read any of Michelle Zink's novels. I really want to get started on them! Thanks so much for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts